Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada to NZ - essentials in the container

Smile Canada to NZ - essentials in the container

We arrived in Whangarei on October 5 with ten suitcases. For now, since my husband is on work exchange, we are living in a fully furnished home while someone is living in our place in Canada. Once the exchange is over my husband plans on going home to sell our house, our electronics and pack all of our personal belongings into a container.

We have been thinking about what we absolutely will bring over and what to buy here. Our kitchen table and cabinet, our bedroom set and a couple of antique pieces are very special to us and will be in the container. Our plan was to purchase a ton of kids furniture from IKEA for our three children for their bedrooms. (it's easy to pack when it's boxed and you just can't get it here!) obviously I am going to bring my dishes, cutlery, kitchen stuff, our personal treasures, trampoline, and most decor items.

I am curious if any of you would recommend I should specifically purchase anything in Canada to take in the container because a) I can't get it here or b) I might get it here but it would cost a fortune!

A couple of things I was thinking of are a trailer/caravan for camping, my kitcheanaid mixer (which is invaluable to me and I think an adapter would make it work fine) plus all the attachments- which are crazy expensive here. Any appliances ( I think you can get large refrigerators here but mine back home is huge compared to what we have!)??

Or is there anything that people often wish they had from Canada that I can bring several in the container?

To be honest we are really living the simple wonderful coastal life where most material things don't mean much when I have my family, however, if we are filling a container I don't want to have any regrets!

Thanks in advance!

From what I have seen written on other posts is to try and take as much stuff as you can, as the cost of furniture and things in NZ is so expensive. So, definitely pay a visit to IKEA and fill up on things you might need. Best of luck on your adventure.

We brought pretty much everything we owned from Canada. Packed the entire household into a 40ft container. I have to say (as a guy), I am very happy/ecstatic that I brought my home electronics here (the plasma tv, sub woofer, yamaha sound bar), they seem to be working and holding up fine here in NZ - running off step down transformers (items that required it).

My wife also brought her beloved Delonghi kitchen mixer. We even brought over our Christmas tree (artificial..with built in lights).

Oh...and all light fixtures.

Definitely bring your huge fridge. I have a fairly-big-by-UK-standards fridge freezer and a kiwi acquaintance said 'wow what a huge fridge' when they first saw it. given that I find more stuff needs to be kept cool here than where I lived when I bought it (UK Home Counties), I'd say bring yours. Also anything you fancy from Ikea. Furniture is expensive here. You can get some good stuff on TradeMe but you can't be sure of getting what you want.

I don't know an answer for you on this point, but a question you need to ask those on the spot is about compliance for any caravan or trailer to be on NZ roads. They all (NZ-made as well) have to be periodically inspected and have a licence, and it may be that foreign-made ones might need adaptations in order to pass.

Can you adapt the fridge to NZ requirements? Do you use a transformer?

Bring anything outdoor related - like tents, mountain bikes, tramping boots and equipment. It is much more expensive in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Can you adapt the fridge to NZ requirements? Do you use a transformer?
    We did not bring our fridge.

Just remember the essentials:

Clamato
    Premium plus crackers
    Captains Morgan white rum
    Daves hot sauce
    'Proper' Heinz ketchup
    Kraft dinner

Be careful about bringing new boxed items in. Do your research first as I believe you can be charged duty on unused household goods. Opened boxed items are a different story.

We actually had a house full of IKEA furniture in the UK which we pulled apart, packed then reassembled here which was a way cheaper of way of shipping stuff. Don't forget to get sheets that fit at IKEA as well!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I don't know an answer for you on this point, but a question you need to ask those on the spot is about compliance for any caravan or trailer to be on NZ roads. They all (NZ-made as well) have to be periodically inspected and have a licence, and it may be that foreign-made ones might need adaptations in order to pass.
    I don't think you would have any issues on this score; the warrant and registration for trailers is very basic; even lights are optional! As long as it's not over 2.5m wide the worst you might need is a safety chain and a wiring adapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast