Thread: Arthritis

Default Arthritis

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether you could help me. I have a medical condition called psoriatic arthritis, which mainly affects my fingers and spine. I am on a drug called embrel which is a auto immune suppressant drug and i was wondering whether i would fail the medical to get into NZ?

Thanks

Richard

The criteria for acceptance are set out at A10.4 of the INZ operational manual. (Go to Administration » A4 Health Requirements » A4.10 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for residence).) Your condition isn't in the list that is a straight 'no', so assessment would come down to the cost of the treatment.

The drug apparently is very expensive (£8000 per year, so ive been told), wondering whether i should speak to my rheumy to see if a different drug would be better

Quote Originally Posted by richardandzoe View Post
    The drug apparently is very expensive (£8000 per year, so ive been told), wondering whether i should speak to my rheumy to see if a different drug would be better
    You're lucky you don't live in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your condition isn't in the list that is a straight 'no', so assessment would come down to the cost of the treatment.
    I would say this falls under "severe autoimmune disease currently being treated with immunosuppressants."

At any rate, you're looking at around $12,000 a year in NZ just for the Embrel(+GST+retail markup)...it would not take very long to exceed the $25,000 lifetime limit (for chronic conditions).

Hi

Thanks, i thought i would fail against this criteria.