Thread: First visit to NZ next year!

Default First visit to NZ next year!

Hey all,
    My wife and me are planning to go to NZ in July 2012.

We already have our Residence visas and can't wait to go there. But I don't want to leave my current (software) project in limbo and make the move. We were initially planning to go this year itself, in October, but circumstances at my workplace changed and I could not leave it because it would have had drastic effects on an ongoing project.

I want to finish it, take a nice vacation and then catch the one way flight to NZ, to start our lives in the beautiful country!

Wifey gets a summer break from her teaching job and I hope to be able to successfully complete the project by then. Hence the month, July 2012!

My kiwi friends have told me that it is not the best time to go there because July=Winter time in NZ. But hey, if I land in the middle of the winter, that would be great because then, I can see the worst of it and things will only get better in our first year there!

Anyway, what I would like to ask you is your opinion about Singapore Air. We are thinking of taking a long vacation in India and then moving to NZ from there. Does anyone here have any experience with Singapore Air? From my current research, they seem to offer the best deals from India!

Thanks for your help!

Regards from Zeiger

Just to comment on Singapore Airline, it's a world class airline, have flown with it several times and never disappointed a bit, I think it's even better from Emirates from the sitting on the economic class wise. (Just my personal opinion, though).

But Spore Airline is a member of Star Alliance and have won several prestigious world award, you may google it.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by zeiger View Post
    My wife and me are planning to go to NZ in July 2012.
    My kiwi friends have told me that it is not the best time to go there because July=Winter time in NZ. But hey, if I land in the middle of the winter, that would be great because then, I can see the worst of it and things will only get better in our first year there!
    Good on you!

What is so bad about the winter in NZ? Many people enjoy the winter (sports) hereabouts!

Hi there- I've only flown airnz and singapore airlines from nz to afar, although multiple times on both. The service is comparable on both but I felt the seats were bigger on the airnz flights.

As to NZ winter, in parts of the country, 'the worst' simply is not that bad. We had a holiday in NZ in 2007, in July and August (summer break from my lecturing). We travelled around North Island, based in Auckland. Yes, there was some chill and damp, particularly noticeable indoors at night, but there were also glorious days when even I, who feel the cold, was in T-shirt rig. There are weather sites where you can check exactly what to expect where you will be heading.

Hi zeiger,

My situation is exactly same like your's . I got my residency visa approved in March 2011 and left UK keeping in mind to travel to NZ in May 2011 . Also booked my ticket in Malaysia Airlines. After reaching India due to some family issues that could not happen and joined US MNC in India. I have rescheduled my trip to Feb 2012 for a holiday trip with my family and in Sep 2012 for a permanent move . The current project I am working had just started 3 months ago and will go till Sep 2012. I won't want to leave it in the middle as I could see there is a lot of learning to be done in this project for my future experience . Best of luck for your plan
    Thanks.

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess Singapore airlines it is, unless some other deal comes up in the next few months.

@ralf-nz, @JandM
    The last couple of winters here in Germany were very severe (in fact that was the case all across Europe), but we managed to go through them pretty well. I don't dread the winter at all, in fact, I love the winter! So I have no fear of the winter in NZ. Only my kiwi friends were of the opinion that it is not the best time to "visit" because, although it is not harsh in most places, there are times of the year when the weather is much better!
    I told them I am not going as a tourist, rather I am really planning to make a move permanently, so it doesn't matter what time I go, with regard to the weather at least

@samay
    I understand your situation very well
    It is like living in this "transition" period. You have a whole new world waiting for you, welcoming you with open arms, but you can't go there just as yet, because you cannot leave what you are currently doing. With kids, the situation is just a bit more complicated! We don't have kids so making the move is relatively easier for us as a family.

Another question,
    Most flights stop over at Singapore. The duration of stopover ranges from 50 minutes to almost 48 hours! Are 50 minutes enough for a stop over? We don't want to be running around the huge airport once we get off at Singapore.
    Also, if the flight gets delayed for some reason and we miss the connecting flight to Auckland from Singapore because of the delay, do the airlines have a policy to ensure we get on the next best flight?
    I have never had a flight stopover before so I am just curious to know.

Thanks,
    Zeiger

Quote Originally Posted by zeiger View Post
    Another question,
    Most flights stop over at Singapore. The duration of stopover ranges from 50 minutes to almost 48 hours! Are 50 minutes enough for a stop over? We don't want to be running around the huge airport once we get off at Singapore.
    Also, if the flight gets delayed for some reason and we miss the connecting flight to Auckland from Singapore because of the delay, do the airlines have a policy to ensure we get on the next best flight?
    I have never had a flight stopover before so I am just curious to know.

Thanks,
    Zeiger
    As long as you travel all legs of the journey with Singapore Airlines (and not partner airlines), I guess it will be fine with 50 mins stopover i.e. if you are flying from UK to Singapore and Singapore to NZ in Singapore Airlines carrier.

Partnering airlines may sometimes screw up the schedule with unforeseen delays and recently I heard from a colleague of mine that Qantas missed their connecting flight in Singapore (as they had stopover at Changi airport and Qantas didn't have enough available seats!!! - this problem was with Qantas and some partner airlines)

I chose to fly with Cathay from Heathrow to Auckland, we had stopover in Hongkong for abt 4 hours and it didn't seem like a long wait, during stopover I freshened up, had some food, made couple of calls, took a nap and hardly got any time to think before it was time to board onto next flight - Changi airport is the best airport to hang around with some world class facilities.