Thread: Bad shipping experience with Bournes

Default Bad shipping experience with Bournes

I hate to do this but feel I should warn others of a bad experience we had with our shipping company.

Basically the company grossly underestimated the volume of our goods.

We were slightly over when they quoted so sold off some large items of furniture that brought us well below the volume estimated.

In the event we were hugely over - and were forced in the last few hours to ditch numerous pieces of furniture (I'm talking sofa, king sized mattress, bunk beds, dining table & chairs, bikes, tumble drier etc) plus in the stress of it all we ditched a lot of personal items.

It was the most upsetting part of the whole emigration process and following caused many sleepless nights.

I totally understand that mistakes can happen, however my biggest issue here is with the attitude of the customer service department, not only did the company refuse to accept any responsibility,their response was unbelievable.

They fabricated stories ie that the rep had used electronic measurements when he had used a pen and paper, they were unsympathetic and blunt in their response.

The episode cost us at least £4000. An apology and some honesty would have gone such a long way and I would not be writing this now.

I must add that I am not a whinging pom.

NZ is everything I had hoped for and I would recommend 100% that if you are considering the big move.

Sorry to hear of your problems, emigrating is stressful enough without that!
    Could you not have sent the groupage, not cheap but probably less than replacing things.
    Did you get many quotes? We got four and all the estimators reckoned our stuff would just fit into a 20ft container and they were absolutely spot on, if one had been vastly different from the rest I would have been very wary.

Hi, in hindsite (isn't that a great thing!) we should have got more than 2 quotes - yes they were vastly different and of course we went with the lesser of the two so of course should take some of the blame. I'm sure that these things are rare so don't mean to worry anyone. Next time (?!) we will get at least 3 quotes. What is groupage?

Groupage is what they call it when you have some goods to go, but not enough to fill a container all on your own, so the shipper holds them over till there's a 'matching' amount from someone else. That accounts for some people's whole shipment, and could maybe have taken care of your surplus.