Thread: medicals - significant finding (cancer 7 years ago)

Default medicals - significant finding (cancer 7 years ago)

I have just done my medicals, and the doctor ticked the "Significant finding" (because I had a cancer 7 years ago) ... any idea how long does it take for an immigration medical assessor to assess it, and what is the outcome likely to be?

Also, do doctors (here in NZ) notify immigration about medicals? I mean, I have not handed my medical papers to Immigration yet, so I am thinking about doing my medicals again in another place, and simply lying about my cancer history (there is no way they would find out unless I tell them).

Thanks.

My medical was referred to the assessor because I had cancer - although mine was 20 years before the medical. I had the medical in the UK and my application went through the London office. I asked my CO how long it would take to get the reply from the medical assessor and what s/he would be looking for - would they need to contact the surgeon who treated me. I hoped not as I am sure he would have retired by now.

I was told that it would take about 4 weeks (and it did) as they send the medical info via snail mail to NZ and then snail mail it back to London. They also said that no further information would be asked for, they would not need to contact anyone who treated me. I think it was a case of the staff at the London office don't have the authority (or medical knowledge) to say if it is okay so need a medical assessor to okay it.

I have no idea if doctors report to NZIS that they have done a medical - I doubt it. Why would they?

I had no choice but to mention my history because I have scars. As for what your outcome is likely to be, I guess that depends on how likely it is that the cancer will return.

Good luck.

Jacqi,
    Thank you for your reply. Can I ask you when did you have your medicals assessed (what year?). I have searched this forum to find out that it takes months and monhts ... I cannot wait so long because my employer wants me to start asap
    It took me 4 months to find this job, and now such a disaster. Cancer itself was very bad, and 6 years later it is ruining my life again.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by roman; 9th December 2011 at 08:49 AM.

I feel for you but cannot condone you lying about your medical history...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    Jacqi,
    Thank you for your reply. Can I ask you when did you have your medicals assessed (what year?). I have searched this forum to find out that it takes months and monhts ... I cannot wait so long because my employer wants me to start asap
    It took me 4 months to find this job, and now such a disaster. Cancer itself was very bad, and 6 years later it is ruining my life again.
    Cheers.
    Can you not apply for a 1 year work visa while you wait?

Ian

yes try for a work visa..

My offer is permanent (no end date in the contract) ... can I apply just for 1 year work visa?

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    My offer is permanent (no end date in the contract) ... can I apply just for 1 year work visa?
    As you intend to stay in NZ for longer than 1 year, you will have to undergo medicals, below is the text from Health Requirements Form

If you intend to be in New Zealand for less than
    six months, you are not required to submit a medical
    certificate with your application.

If you intend to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months,
    you must complete a Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate.
    Children under 11 years of age and pregnant women are not
    required to have an X-ray, unless a special report is needed.

If you intend to be in New Zealand for more than
    six months but not longer than 12 months, you may need to
    provide an X-ray Certificate for Temporary Entry. Whether
    you need to provide this certificate depends on whether
    you are from a place that is not on the list below, or you
    have visited a place that is not on the list

Ok, I decided not to lie. I have overcome cancer, I will overcome this. If NZ kicks me out of the country just because I was unlucky to have cancer, let it be.

Is there a difference between applying for normal work visa ("Essential Skills") and "Work To Residence" visa (my employer is accredited) with regards to my medical issue? I mean I would think that applying for a temporary work visa should not be a threat to NZ's health system so could be easier/faster to get ... ?