Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance?

Question Car Insurance?

Can anyone recommend a good car insurance for a car?

I checked the internet but couldn't find much information about prices and terms...

Thanks!!

I went ahead with AA insurance, they were easy to deal with and I got my car insured online without any hassles - with overseas drivers license.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I went ahead with AA insurance, they were easy to deal with and I got my car insured online without any hassles - with overseas drivers license.
    Me too. Car insurance is a fraction of the price of UK car insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterblume View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good car insurance for a car?

I checked the internet but couldn't find much information about prices and terms...

Thanks!!
    One more thing I just recollected, if possible do get your No Claim Bonus (NCB) certificate if you have one from overseas.

Yes Roger, I remember paying around £1200 pa in UK whereas it was about NZD850.

Yes, absolutely - try it. I did it (albeit quite some time ago) when I was with State Insurance. They honoured my No Claims Bonus (Schadenfreiheitsrabatt/SFR) and I got my Third Party, Fire and Theft insurance at a significant discount.
    Ask your German insurance for a letter stating your SFR in English. My insurance had a form in English for this purpose.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Definitely bring proof of NCB, although I don't think they actually asked for it! Also check which companies do protected NCB. I think AA do it from day 1, AMI give it to you when you've been with them for a year.

A lot of people are shunning AMI because of the government bail out but they are OK. We've recently renewed our car and contents insurance with them and they were at least $100 cheaper than any other company. A broker couldn't even get close and he didn't try and tell me not to go with them either.

Also, try to get more than one insurance policy as you'll get up to 20% discount with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Definitely bring proof of NCB, although I don't think they actually asked for it! Also check which companies do protected NCB. I think AA do it from day 1, AMI give it to you when you've been with them for a year.
    We got it from AMI on day 1.

And just to second emka. It shouldn't be any hassle getting the letter already in English.

With some insurers it will become cheaper when you have held a NZ driver licence for a certain time, e.g. two years. So it pays to get it early!

Thanks for that!

Yeah, deffo bring any no claims. It's difficult, read probably impossible to get any quotes over the internet like in the UK. That said it is cheaper, mainly for the sole reason that it needs to cover less, i.e. any personal, medical costs etc. are excluded.

It's not compulsory, but you'd be mad not to.

We went with AMI bur are changing to State as soon as we both have NZ licenses as insurance will be about $300 cheaper per year than same quote with AMI. We also have multi policies with state already so get a discount, I think 10%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast