Thread: Sydney to Auckland?

Default Sydney to Auckland?

Hi, its my fist time to post here..i really hope you guys can enlighten us.

Me and my wife are living in Australia and we just got married 2 months ago in the Philippines. I am currently holding a 461 visa (New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship) while my wife is a NZ citizen. We are planning to go to NZ to have a fresh and new start but we are unsure on what steps we need to take to live & settle there. My questions are,

First, what kind of visa do i need so that i can stay in NZ until such time we
    apply for a resident visa for me.

Second, does she need to have a permanent work in NZ first before she can
    sponsor me? If yes, how long will it take for her to be eligible to sponsor
    someone?

Looking forward on your help guys, thanks
    Last edited by lmar2012; 9th December 2011 at 06:05 AM.

Hello and welcome.

If you've been living together for 12 months, you can apply for partner-sponsored Residence.

Your wife doesn't need a job to support your application for a visa, just to meet the requirements mentioned here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm

If you haven't yet been living together for 12 months, she can sponsor you for a temporary work visa. See the details here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

Welcome to the forum mate :nice. Sorry I don't have much info but someone with similar situation might drop by soon .

HI. Thank you for a prompt reply. Its really a big help, especially to us who is just starting to build a family. I talked to my wife and discussed other options, though im very keen to move to NZ.
    Is it possible to apply for a residence (assuming after 12mos of living together) while we are both in sydney? then move to NZ after the visa was granted?

Thank you so much guys.

Absolutely possible, yes.

We'll just weigh our options. This forum is very informative, Thank you so much!