Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden/MDF Items?

Default Wooden/MDF Items?

Does anyone know if you can take wooden/mdf items into NZ? I just assumed we could but was chatting to someone this morning who is relocating to Oz and she said they couldn't take their wooden furniture!

I've tried reading the customs website but am getting more and more confused by the minute

I do a lot of craft with wood and mdf and would hate to think that I would have to leave all my bits and pieces behind. I do realise I could buy more out there, but I have certain shapes that I can't cut myself ...

The problem MAF have with some wood is if it hasn't been treated, and therefore, could harbour life. If you have supplies that are obviously bought in, not 'raw', you shouldn't have a problem with those. Also, watch out, e.g. on your furniture, shoe soles or bike or other tyres, that there's no sign of dust, earth, or bits of dead leaf (could harbour spores, seeds or insect eggs, particularly on anything that's been outside), cobwebs (ditto, and even live spiders), or eggs or chrysalises.

Label anything wood carefully when you're packing - they will almost certainly want to inspect it. If you can arrange for it to smell of preservative, so much the better! Other potentially suspect objects (including vacuum cleaner, if you're bringing it) need to shout that they have been cleaned, and a smell of Jeyes fluid helps.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RejjieM View Post
    Does anyone know if you can take wooden/mdf items into NZ? I just assumed we could but was chatting to someone this morning who is relocating to Oz and she said they couldn't take their wooden furniture!

I've tried reading the customs website but am getting more and more confused by the minute

I do a lot of craft with wood and mdf and would hate to think that I would have to leave all my bits and pieces behind. I do realise I could buy more out there, but I have certain shapes that I can't cut myself ...
    Your shipping company should be able to advise on what can / can not be shipped and what preparation would be required.

Certainly our shipping company were happy to advise about our wooden garden furniture and how best to prepare it. MAF were happy that it was properly packed and properly treated.

Your shipping company should be able to advise
    Yes, they certainly should, but some forum members have found that shipping companies tell them 'no' to a lot of things that in fact ARE permitted, presumably just to avoid any responsibility.

So many more things to consider than I'd realised. Thanks for your help!

A lot of shipping companies will tell you that you can't bring things in, when in fact you can. If we'd listened to ours we'd have left half the house back in the UK.

We brought in lots of wooden furniture and they didn't inspect any of it. However they inspected all the cane, wicker and seagrass which passed no problem - we had scrubbed it all with disinfectant and sprayed it with clear, matt varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    We brought in lots of wooden furniture and they didn't inspect any of it.
    Oops, there's me worrying about little crafty bits of mdf, forgetting that our bed is wooden!!!

MAF got their eyes on one of our artifact with peacock feathers and we didn't want to invest any money for its treatment - they destroyed it. Apart from this all our wooden furniture made its way to our home.

Oh! MAF missed to scan one of our decayed wooden artifact (buddha statue), we asked our Shipper to return it back to MAF after that piece arrived at our home.

No worries - took all mine.
    Just ditched the wicker baskets & out door furniture which tend tp attract a little too much MAFF attention despite copious amounts of steam cleaning & Jeyes fluid.
    Go for it!

Thanks for your helpful replies everyone Turns out we have a lot more wooden things in our house than I'd ever imagined possible eyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast