Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you miss most about home?

Default What do you miss most about home?

Not talking family, friends etc, but what one "thing" do you miss most. For instance, I lived and worked in France for a year and used to take supplies of HP sauce with me Couldn't buy it in France in those days!

Don't worry, if/when we get there, I fully intend to enjoy everything and try not to think too much of things like HP sauce, but I was just wondering ...

What is home - how do you define it?!

Currently Dunedin is my home town where I'm living now for nearly six years. And NZ is currently my home country.
    In my previous home country I have lived in quite a few different cities/regions - for around four or five years each. Several of them did become home for me, whereas others never did.

Each region where I have lived in has something special and on the other side is lacking something else. So I would not say there is one particular thing I am missing from one singled out place.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    What is home - how do you define it?!
    You know, as soon as I posted that question, I realised that "home" is not one specific place. I'm originally from N Ireland but have been away from N Ireland longer than I ever lived there - I've lived in Scotland, England, France and Belgium at various stages. And whenever I was "away" from wherever I was living at the time, I'd miss the things from that place

As long as my husband and sons are with me, that's home to me

Where is home...exactly my thoughts..
    Brought up in the UK but lived in the US for the past 19 yrs I guess when I refer to 'back home' I refer to the US.
    But NZ is home now.
    I miss friends a little and Target for shopping!!!!

But nothing else..oh maybe how much I used to earn..

Nearly five years in I still miss footpaths and the gentle English countryside, but it's not a feeling-miss anymore, just a thought-miss. I've reconciled myself to an absence of doughnuts of any worth and really the only things I think I proper feeling-miss now are family and although the pain of that kind of dulls over the years it's a bitter-sweet dulling because I am slowly becoming absent from all family events that matter. My family have years of albums where we are entirely absent.

The thing I miss the most............ready meals! In the UK they have loads and loads of them, so when you have had a busy day, all you need to do it chuck it in the microwave for a few minutes and you can eat! Here, you need to start most things from scratch! Saying that, I am getting very good at cooking too much and freezing it, so that is like my own ready meal!

I don't mean to be one henpecked husband but I can just live in any corner of the world without problem as long as my better half is with me . As mentioned by others, we have also lived outside our home country for most part of our life....so that sense of "terribly" missing anything doesn't arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I don't mean to be one henpecked husband but I can just live in any corner of the world without problem as long as my better half is with me . As mentioned by others, we have also lived outside our home country for most part of our life....so that sense of "terribly" missing anything doesn't arise.
    But it is still your home country?

Quote Originally Posted by RejjieM View Post
    You know, as soon as I posted that question, I realised that "home" is not one specific place. I'm originally from N Ireland but have been away from N Ireland longer than I ever lived there - I've lived in Scotland, England, France and Belgium at various stages. And whenever I was "away" from wherever I was living at the time, I'd miss the things from that place

As long as my husband and sons are with me, that's home to me
    For me it needs more for being home than having my family living with me. I still cannot exactly pinpoint it down. As mentioned above we lived at places that never felt home. In others we felt at home rather soon!

Marks and Spencer's knickers! (and lemon mousse)
    Reasonably priced cheese
    English bacon
    Old buildings, English country villages.

That's it - far out weighed by the number of things I would miss about New Zealand if we were to go back.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast