Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Van Lines or Crown

Default NZ Van Lines or Crown

Dear All,

After all the wait, we are finally on the way to NZ. We have met our real estate agents to sell / rent out our place and also met 2 movers for quote.

The 2 movers are Crown Movers and NZ Van Lines. Have anyone out there used any of the 2 movers. Any complaints/ compliments from either movers? Any comments would be greatly appreciated as this will help in our decision making.

Thanks again.

Vincent Ong
    Singapore going to Palmerston North on 15th Oct 2005

If money is no object then I'd go with Crown - they're way more expensive, but I reckon you probably get a better service since its the same company at both ends.

We used NZ vanlines - great (PSS in the UK) at the UK end but when the stuff arrived in NZ it took days to get in contact with them, they never returned my calls (I ended up going to their office & demanding to fill in my import documents - they told me I didn't need to do it until the day before the container arrived - I asked them when it was going to arrive - erm tomorrow I was told???!!!!!) & when the furniture arrived they didn't put it together properly & they left all of the boxes unopened - we were told that they remove everything from the boxes & put it on a surface such as a table or work surface for us to put away - I was left with all of the boxes to unpack on my own.

I phoned them for a quote recently for moving our home within NZ since I didn't know any removal co's & it took them over a week to answer my phonecall (I got cut off once) - by then I'd already booked someone else & they'd delivered the boxes for packing!

There are many people I'm sure who have been happy with NZ vanlines but I wouldn't use them again.

I agree with Sarah - NZ van lines damaged some of our furniture by dropping the boxes, they damaged the walls of our rented house, they did not return calls, the import agent made me wait 45 minutes with a screaming toddler while she "small-talked" with another customer. Urggghh - try anyone except them. I even filled in a complaint card and returned it to them and they never followed it up.

We had NZ Vanlines for our NZ part of the move (GB Liners for the UK to NZ leg) and we couldn't fault either. :?

Should be able to tell you about our experience of Crown ... in a week or so's time. : :smile

Crown were great, all our furniture rebuilt (properly), and only one breakage of no value anyway!

All things unpacked and what I was not ready for they came back a week later and picked up the packaging.

Were going with crown even though there more cash than PSS/NZvan lnes, heard enough bad things about NZ van lines to put me off.

Its not about the good stories, tho the help, its the number of bad stories, and their attempts to rip people off via MAF inspection charges.

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Have not used either but from our experience I think Crown would be a better bet but I reckon they will be more expensive!

You should also obtain the NZ counterpart from the Singapore movers and call them or email them and check if you would face any problems.

Ours would have told us of the sour relationship when we called which would have alerted us.

Locally Allied Movers were really excellent in all aspects despite the problems they had with the Malaysian movers, we had no problems other than having to put up with the delay casued by all this and not to mention the loss of insurance that we had paid for!

Good luck!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info. I am really greatful and this help in my decision making.

I have decided to get a quote from another mover, Allied Pickfords just in case. Would really appreciate it if anyone had good / bad experience with them.

Thanks again.

Vincent

My parents moved to Tenerife in the late 80's with Allied pickfords.

They charged them storage (went supposed to store at all) from weeks , starting 2 weeks before the stuff was collected.

The stuff took ages to turn up, half of it was broke, several boxes where missing.

Personaly I wont even be getting a quote from them, tho I assume they have improved since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast