Thread: Self employed when on a Working Holiday Visa

Default Self employed when on a Working Holiday Visa

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone out there who can tell me whether you are allowed to be self-employed when on a WHV visa? I can't find the definitive answer.

When phoning NZIS about whether you can be self-employed on a WHV the reply was that it was fine as long as you don't work for the same client for more than 6months.

But I'm still unsure as I can't find it anywhere in the NZIS manuals and if I started to pay tax on self-employed earnings, if they were wrong, then I could get into trouble.....so I need to be sure. If it was OK and I managed to work as a self-employed person legitimately in NZ then after two years I could apply for an entrepreneural visa, but I've never heard of anyone doing this and don't want to get it wrong.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere on the threads, and I don't find it in the operational manual or on the INZ website, either, probably because hardly anybody thinks of doing it. If you're doubtful about trusting to what the INZ call centre says, you could write or email to INZ, then their answer would be your safeguard.

Hi JandM,

Thanks for your advice - I think an email would be best as then I would have the info in writing. Does anyone have an email address for NZIS or can you only get info on their phone lines?

Thanks again.

Hiya.

Do you mind if we ask what kind of work you would be doing?

Beachcombers here is their contact link. As JandM suggested it is best to email them. I would keep every answer in a separate folder in case you ever need it. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...gebase/contact