Thread: Visa Sponsorship for dependants

Default Visa Sponsorship for dependants

Is it true that generally employers in NZ provide visa sponsorship only for you (employee) and not for your spouse?

I have an employment offer but they are saying they can sponsor only my visa and not for my spouse.

If you are getting a work visa, your spouse needs to apply for a partner-sponsored work visa. You fill in a form, too, and send everything with a covering letter linking it to your case, and the CO will deal with both cases together. You won't know all the details (numbers, etc.) for the form, but the CO will fill them in as they become available. Here's the link. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

Quote Originally Posted by vicegerent View Post
    Is it true that generally employers in NZ provide visa sponsorship only for you (employee) and not for your spouse?

I have an employment offer but they are saying they can sponsor only my visa and not for my spouse.
    I don't think so as when I applied for Work Visa in 2008, all visa costs for my wife and daughter's application were reimbursed by my employer including travel fare and initial accommodation, but this might depend from company to company and their policies. Did you speak to your prospective employer? Try to negotiate if still haven't as there's nothing to lose and you might be lucky as well

Thank you for the link JandM

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I don't think so as when I applied for Work Visa in 2008, all visa costs for my wife and daughter's application were reimbursed by my employer including travel fare and initial accommodation, but this might depend from company to company and their policies. Did you speak to your prospective employer? Try to negotiate if still haven't as there's nothing to lose and you might be lucky as well
    I haven't had any negotiations with the employer. The recruiter who is in the middle dealt with all the negotiations and claimed that in New Zealand generally no employer provides sponsorship for dependents. The recruiter said sponsorship is not provided to the dependent as they do not work for the employer.

How much is the cost incurred for visa for dependents?

I think he meant, the employer CANNOT sponsor dependants FOR A VISA. (Sponsor has a particular meaning when used by immigration professionals.) You may perhaps be able to negotiate some help with their fares and other costs - or not. As to what the visas cost, you'll need to go on the INZ website and look that up for your particular circumstances. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...eescalculator/

Thanks JandM for the correction. I meant employer sponsors the employee (your self) and dependents are sponsored by you - however the cost involved for your dependents can be negotiated with your prospective employer (under relocation expense).