Thread: Melatonin

Default Melatonin

Does anyone know how to get hold of Melatonin tablets in NZ? I use it from time with my younger son for sleeping issues and he cannot take Benadryl due to seizures.
    The chemist told me she thought it had to be a prescription, in which case it would probably be cheaper to get it mailed from the UK or the US?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Does anyone know how to get hold of Melatonin tablets in NZ? I use it from time with my younger son for sleeping issues and he cannot take Benadryl due to seizures.
    The chemist told me she thought it had to be a prescription, in which case it would probably be cheaper to get it mailed from the UK or the US?

Thanks

Melatonin is not approved for use in NZ. It can be imported (under Section 29 of the Medicines Act) with a doctor's prescription. As it is used fairly commonly (for a Section 29 medication), many pharmacies will already have it on hand. I am unsure of the cost, but it would certainly be cheaper to have someone ship it to you. [I would guess that doing this would be illegal and/or subject to seizure...]

Thanks for the reply.
    I actually booked an appt for my 5 yr old to get a prescription next week..then I should get the Rx free in theory.
    Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
    I actually booked an appt for my 5 yr old to get a prescription next week..then I should get the Rx free in theory.
    Thanks.
    Section 29 drugs are not funded by the Ministry of Health! There are significant costs associated with importing it. (As well as plenty of markups along the way.) For a month of melatonin, you're probably looking at $30.

Here's a melatonin scenario from medsafe: http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/RIss/unapp.asp

A patient comes to a medical practitioner’s surgery complaining of insomnia and requesting melatonin. The patient claims that melatonin has been helpful in the past and says that it can be obtained from Company X in Auckland. The practitioner knows that melatonin is not approved and that it has recently been scheduled a prescription medicine. He has no knowledge of the safety or efficacy of melatonin. The practitioner is obliged to use the means available to him to obtain unbiased information on the efficacy and safety of melatonin in the treatment of insomnia, and be assured that it may benefit and not harm the patient. He is then able to decide whether he wishes on scientific grounds to assist the patient to obtain melatonin. He should discuss with the patient the information obtained, as well as the nature of the patient’s insomnia, and other medical and non-medical treatment options.

If, after a full and frank discussion, the decision of both the medical practitioner and the patient is to use melatonin, the practitioner has three further steps to take before obtaining supplies. He should decide whether melatonin for insomnia should be regarded as experimental, necessitating signed consent. If it is considered experimental he should agree with the patient on a suitable procedure for monitoring for safety and efficacy. Finally, he should advise the patient that it is a requirement under the Medicines Act for the information about the supply, including the patient’s name, to be forwarded to Medsafe and be stored in a database.

The practitioner then contacts Company X and requests melatonin for his patient. If the medicine is procured from Company X, the company must report the supply to the Director-General.

PS: I don't want to give anyone the impression that I have recommended using melatonin in a 5 year old (or in anyone for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    PS: I don't want to give anyone the impression that I have recommended using melatonin in a 5 year old (or in anyone for that matter).
    With respect I am a nurse with 20 yrs experience, and have been using melatonin for my 5 yr old for 2 yrs as needed under the supervision of a very qualified paediatrician and neurologist in the US. My son has sleeping problems and cannot use other sleeping meds as they lower the seizure threshold. He has seizures.

So, whilst I thank you for your assistance and info I reserve the right to treat my son as I feel is the best for him in consultation with other medical personnel.

And for your information Melatonin is a natural supplement.

With respect I am a nurse with 20 yrs experience, and have been using melatonin for my 5 yr old for 2 yrs as needed under the supervision of a very qualified paediatrician and neurologist in the US. My son has sleeping problems and cannot use other sleeping meds as they lower the seizure threshold. He has seizures.

So, whilst I thank you for your assistance and info I reserve the right to treat my son as I feel is the best for him in consultation with other medical personnel.

And for your information Melatonin is a natural supplement.
    Sorry Hagabel, I didn't mean to offend you; that last comment was intended for the other 1000 people who may happen across this post in the future. As I'm sure you're aware, melatonin is sold as a nutritional supplement in the US, and therefore subject to very little regulation. My own personal feeling is that it probably is effective and probably isn't terribly harmful...but as it hasn't been well studied, I am reserving judgement.