Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Visa

Default Working Visa

I have just signed up to the forums, and need some advice before accepting a contract of employment.

I currently have been offered a role with a IT Consultancy and will be coming over on a Work Visa and as i understand it, my wife will also be able to come on this and work as well?, however i have medical related question i need an answer to, if someone is able to help.

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and has had this for the last two years. She is on a drug called Rebif, which helps manage the symptoms of MS, as well as other tablets that also assist her.

She has regular check ups with her MS doctor about once every 3 months and in addition to this has to occasionally have blood tests or other related MS tests.

We are concerned that after looking through the section "A4.15 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for temporary entry class visas)" they list the following:

Applicants for temporary entry class visas to New Zealand are considered to have an acceptable standard of health if they are:

• unlikely to be a danger to public health; and
    • unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services during their period of intended stay in New Zealand; and
    • (if they are under 21 years of age and are applying for a student visa) unlikely to qualify for Ongoing Resourcing Schemes (ORS) funding during their period of intended stay in New Zealand; and
    • able to undertake the work or study on the basis of which they are applying for a visa, or which is a requirement for the grant of the visa.

And also they list these additional points:

A4.15.1 Assessment of whether an applicant for a temporary entry class visa is unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services

Assessment of whether an applicant for a temporary entry class visa is likely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services will take into account whether there is a relatively high probability that the applicant will need publicly funded health services during their period of stay in New Zealand including, but not limited to:
    • hospitalisation;
    • residential care;
    • high cost pharmaceuticals;
    • high cost disability services.

And the items that jump out to us is in section 4.15 & 4.15.1, is in regard to costs, and the trouble we have is understanding what is meant by "significant costs"and "high cost pharmaceuticals", because they don't actually state an amount and what are high cost pharmaceuticals.

So, has anyone had a visa either accepted or declined, where one of the applicants had MS or the visa was referred then accepted or declined?

Your help on this matter will be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

If you gain a temporary work visa, then your wife would be entitled to apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, matching yours in time. Here is the link which explains this impression you've got. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

About the health requirements you've found - yes, there is likely to be a problem or at least close scrutiny because of your wife's illness. In general, cost SEEMS to be judged on the basis of not costing more than $25,000 in (and this varies from report to report) four years, or the length of the visa. (For Residence visas, someone being looked at with an existing condition is judged agains $25,000 in all.) And/But multiple sclerosis is a condition which seems to be considered under the guidelines as a 'not except with a health waiver' for Residence visas, so it's automatically going to attract attention even for the shorter visa.

Forum member 72andsunny is a pharmacist. He may be able to help by telling you the NZ cost of the drugs your wife needs. (When you have made five posts on any threads, the forum will automatically give you access to PM facilities to contact him, in case he doesn't see this first.)

Welcome to the forum. How long is your job contract?

If you intend to be in New Zealand for less than six months, you are not required to submit a medical certificate with your application.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.

If you gain a temporary work visa, then your wife would be entitled to apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, matching yours in time. Here is the link which explains this impression you've got. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

About the health requirements you've found - yes, there is likely to be a problem or at least close scrutiny because of your wife's illness. In general, cost SEEMS to be judged on the basis of not costing more than $25,000 in (and this varies from report to report) four years, or the length of the visa. (For Residence visas, someone being looked at with an existing condition is judged agains $25,000 in all.) And/But multiple sclerosis is a condition which seems to be considered under the guidelines as a 'not except with a health waiver' for Residence visas, so it's automatically going to attract attention even for the shorter visa.

Forum member 72andsunny is a pharmacist. He may be able to help by telling you the NZ cost of the drugs your wife needs. (When you have made five posts on any threads, the forum will automatically give you access to PM facilities to contact him, in case he doesn't see this first.)
    Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

I spoke with someone at the MS Society in New Zealand yesterday and though she was unable to help, she gave me a number of one of the companies that supply a interferon drug for MS patients.

She confirmed that most people who suffer from MS in New Zealand have to pay for their interferon, which could cost up to $1500 per month.

She did also say that in the minority of cases some patients do get help through the NZ Health Board, but for most they have to pay.

If this is the case then obliviously my wife may not be considered a burden to the Health Board, if she was paying for her own interferon.

However, my concern is that she also takes other tablets in addition to the interferon, which maybe consider costly to the NZ Health Board.

The problem we have as i see it, that unless someone else has had a similar experience to us and can tell us what the outcome was, we are going to have to make the application and keep everything crossed for a positive result.

I will be sure to PM him once i have made 5 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. How long is your job contract?
    The job is a permanent position and the employer confirmed the Visa would be for a length of 2.5 years.

So, as long as the NZ Health Board believe that in that time my wife would not cost them anymore than $25,000, then we have a chance with or without a waiver.

It is a case of going through with the application and keeping things crossed, as we have still yet to come across anyone who has had a similar experience.

Sorry to be the mouthpiece for telling you negative things, but this won't work.

If this is the case then obliviously my wife may not be considered a burden to the Health Board, if she was paying for her own interferon.
    INZ aren't apparently allowed to take any notice of an applicant saying, 'I'll pay for everything.' The reasoning is that either Residence, or a work visa lasting two years or more, gives the legal right to be treated by the New Zealand Health Service. Supposing their circumstances changed disastrously and they didn't then have money to pay for private treatment and medication, the cost would fall on the NZHS.

we are going to have to make the application and keep everything crossed for a positive result.
    Yes, I think so.

"Sorry to be the mouthpiece for telling you negative things, but this won't work."

"INZ aren't apparently allowed to take any notice of an applicant saying, 'I'll pay for everything.' The reasoning is that either Residence, or a work visa lasting two years or more, gives the legal right to be treated by the New Zealand Health Service. Supposing their circumstances changed disastrously and they didn't then have money to pay for private treatment and medication, the cost would fall on the NZHS."

I understand this and though it is not wanted news, we will have to hope, as everything is done on a case by case basis, that sense prevails!

Just out of curiosity i'll assume citizenship is the same as PR?

Just out of curiosity i'll assume citizenship is the same as PR?
    No. Permanent Residence is a visa you can get after you've been a Resident for two years minimum. The visa stays in the passport issued by your previous country. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

And citizenship is a different state of being, with different, extra qualifications. You can get a NZ passport once you have this, if you do - it's not obligatory. http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...nd-Citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No. Permanent Residence is a visa you can get after you've been a Resident for two years minimum. The visa stays in the passport issued by your previous country. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

And citizenship is a different state of being, with different, extra qualifications. You can get a NZ passport once you have this, if you do - it's not obligatory. http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...nd-Citizenship
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I will keep you informed on how we get on, as our situation will help others if they find there selves in the same position.

Thank you. Here's wishing you the best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast