Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rights/benefits/facilities for residence visa holders

Default rights/benefits/facilities for residence visa holders

Hi all,

We got our resident visa approved recently.

Can anyone please guide me to website(s) which state the rights/benefits/facilities that residence visa holders get in health/ health insurance, employment, education and purchase of property etc.

cheers

You have the right to vote, use the health and education systems, entitlement to work and yes you can buy property.

Thanks April.
    How does the health system works in NZ? Is it like there is a National Health Insurance that all the residents need to have, which subsidies the medical bills?
    Whats the premium for this one?
    Do people usually go for other health insurances as well?
    cheers

With all these kinds of question, there is usually a NZ government website that will help, if you use your browser. For instance, here I entered 'NZ health service migrants'. http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugex...w=1112&bih=768

Here are a couple specifically answering your question. http://www.settlementsupport.net.nz/SSNZ/health/
    http://www.enz.org/healthcare-migrants-newzealand.html

Thanks JandM.
    Actually my question was for people like us who have just residence visa and not permanent residence.
    I found some sites which explain about permanent residence's benefits, but the big question is that if residence visa holder is treated differently from permanent residence visa holder in health, education and other services?

I don't think so- I guess that all the websites are still using the old name/ haven't been updated with the new name.
    What is called 'residence' now used to be called 'permanent residence' before they changed the names, and what is now 'permanent residence' used to be indefinite, which is the step after you've been here for two years resp. fulfilled all the requirements.

Through my employer I wouldn't be entitled to a few benefits till I had my residency. For example, healthcare. The employer had a plan but I needed to have residency to get the base coverage. I could have purchased it without residency but would have paid a bit more vs. through my employer. I ended up paying additional medical to cover things that were covered in other plans I had in Canada (e.g. medical tests, hospital stays, dental).

What newarrival said. All those things under the Health Service are available to those who are Residents.

So can I say that if I get pregnant on a residence visa (not permanent residence) I am still entitled to all the medical benefits?

Yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast