Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ in the middle in terms of holidays

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default NZ in the middle in terms of holidays

An international study has put NZ around the middle in terms of the avergae number of holidays received, but is around a week behind the UK and a week ahead of the US.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...6889_875540616

All I know is that my hubby and I got 2 weeks plus some public holidays in the US and here we get 4-5 weeks each plus public holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    An international study has put NZ around the middle in terms of the avergae number of holidays received, but is around a week behind the UK and a week ahead of the US.

The figures for the UK are wrong: statutory leave in the UK, including public holidays, is only 28 days, so actually fewer days than in NZ.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post

Here Mercer's press release: http://www.mercer.com/press-releases...ound-the-world

They screwed up on the UK data...they have counted the stats twice...it is 28 days including stats. NZ is actually better (so longer as Anzac and Waitangi day don't fall at the weekend).

US holiday/vacation times are really bad. I was lucky to get 4 weeks in the States (not that I ever used them). Most people have 2-3 weeks. It's just not sustainable....although I would say there is definitely a culture of finishing early on a Friday afternoon (say 3 ish) as part recompense.

Like everyone else from the States, I'll take it!
    Seriously, 2 weeks is considered "good" in the USA. A lot of people I know never take a holiday. Never. That's just too difficult.

Having had 5.5 to 6 weeks in the past, 4 in NZ sounded disappointing.

However in these years here I even don't need these four weeks. The work is so much less stressful!

My husband is a nurse so was coming from six weeks in Britain to four in NZ. Luckily if you do overtime here you accrue more annual leave and also get paid a higher rate during your annual leave, so he gets 5-6.

I like the numbers I am hearing! I'm in the US and i get 1 week right now! and that one week better not be taken all at the same time either! I should also note that my boss is a crazy work-a-holic and expects most people to be as well. Either way it pays the bills, and we can't wait to make the move!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast