Thread: How do mums having school-going kids work?

Default How do mums having school-going kids work?

Hi all,

We plan to go to NZ soon.
    We have a 4 yrs old kid and we need to put him in kindy at first and then to a primary/elementary school.
    My wife wants to work while we are there. She has a NZQA level 6 equivalent education in business and 5 yrs of work experience in Intl bank.
    Her appropriate job probably would be in a bank or other financial institution/ business house.
    I would like to know how working mums (with school-going kids) manage their time and schedule.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    MK

Mums I know tend to use these http://www.oscar.org.nz/ for out of school care.
    Hope this helps
    Jo

I use before and after school care locally. I drop at school and pick up some days depending upon my shifts. I am a nurse so do about 5 different shifts. Then OH picks up/drops off at other end of the day.

Mrs V works 28 hours a week and we use childcare for 2 days and some holidays.

We both work full time. We rely on our local Oscar (out of school care) service. They are available in many areas, just ensure that you live close to a school where one is available. You may also find that employers are far more family orientated, at least that is my experience when compared to he UK.
    It is hard for us, but we are starting to get into a routine. The boys do many activities, swimming, games, crafts, cinema trips, wildlife park trips etc during the holidays and have a good time too.

I wasn't that happy with the after school care at my daughter's school because she kept losing her clothes and never got any homework done, so I paid a friend to pick her up and child mind her. This worked much better for me and meant she could go to after-school activities too. My older daughter walks to her Dad's work and waits quietly there doing homework until he is ready to leave.

These days I work in a school so I get holidays when they do. Before that, their Dad was at uni, so he mostly got holidays at the same time as them. Both of them always refused to go to holiday clubs, so holidays have been tricky for most of their childhoods. It's hard work fitting work and school together!

I use before and after school care 3 days a week and then tend to rely on friends and holiday clubs - I'm lucky that my kids quite like it I can also build up time in lieu and save it for school hols so I tend to keep my annual leave so I can have most of the long summer off - I'm only working 3 days between now and beginning of Feb

Cheers Karen

We use after and before care school, and YMCa holiday programs though DS at 11 is now being very picky which programs to go on, too much choice !

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
    I would again iterate that this forum is such a great place full of so many kind people.

Cheers
    MK
    Last edited by MK33; 28th December 2011 at 01:02 PM.