Thread: How early can I apply for work visa (renewal)?

Default How early can I apply for work visa (renewal)?

Question: My current work visa expires in June 2012. Can I file a new work visa application around Jan 2012 or would that be too early as per INZ rules?

Why do I want to do that: My original visa was for 18 months because I had a contract for 18 months which has now converted to permanent employment. 18 months visa means you are not qualified for govt funded health care - If I apply now after perm employment i should be able to get 5yr work visa which makes me and family eligible for some health benefits. Plus a longer term visa gives some sense of stability.

Background: Just got a letter from INZ CHCH branch telling me it will take up to 12 weeks to assign CO for my SMC PR application. So it does not look likely that the application will be finalized by Jun when my visa expires. This means I would have to renew the work visa anyways (and cough up the fees) - so it might be worthwhile doing it now specially since all the required documentation are already filed with the branch.

I can't find anything in the regulations to say how soon you are allowed to apply for another visa. I am guessing, though, that INZ would take a long time to put through such a request, even if they accept the paperwork straight away. Many people have noticed that if they're already legally in NZ, working, progress on any subsequent visa slows right up until the very last minute, when the existing visa is about to expire. It's as if INZ thinks, 'What's the hurry? They're here, legal and earning - why are they so bothered about the next thing?'

Thanks JandM - makes sense ... I have experienced kind of same thing with my PR application. From outside NZ i'd have expected to have jumped ahead of others in the queue (having a job offer). In CHCH, I have been advised of waiting time of up to 12 weeks.

If you are with the same employer, renewal won't take long. I guess 4-8 weeks time is sufficient. You may not get 24 months work visa renewal. I have noticed quite a few people given 12 months work visa inspite of the fact that they had permanent employment. I am not sure if INZ are deliberately issuing less than 24 months visa to cut medical costs.

[QUOTE=bmasood;433742]Question: My current work visa expires in June 2012. Can I file a new work visa application around Jan 2012 or would that be too early as per INZ rules?QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by rizjunior View Post
    If you are with the same employer, renewal won't take long. I guess 4-8 weeks time is sufficient. You may not get 24 months work visa renewal. I have noticed quite a few people given 12 months work visa inspite of the fact that they had permanent employment. I am not sure if INZ are deliberately issuing less than 24 months visa to cut medical costs.
    Other day I was speaking to one of my colleague and he mentioned about the 12 months visa as well but in his case it seems his employer specifically applied for 12 months visa despite having permanent employment.