Thread: Shipping cats

Default Shipping cats

Hey there,

We are planning to move back to the UK from Wellington early next year, and we have two cats we are taking with us. Way too much part of the family to leave behind, but I am very nervous about such a long journey for them both. Just looking for some reassurance I think from other people who have moved their pets, that they were ok... And managed to settle again post trip etc. Oh and any recommendations for homeopathic calming remedies? Just wonder whether they are worthwhile investigating...

Cheers all

Saskia

Default Pets

Hi Saskia
    We brought our two cats with us - there was noway I could imagine living in NZ and not have the boys. We used Airpets and they were brilliant. I collected both boys from Napier and boy they let me know they had missed me - all the way in the car from Napier to Taupo. They had to live with mother in UK for couple of months during the move here.
    Within minutes of getting into their home in Taupo both where mooching about n happy. We made sure to have stuff about they knew around the house, which was not easy as we were in furnished rental.
    Sadly after 4 years in NZ we lost my boy Moses in October but can honestly say he was the happiest I had ever seen him and his passing was not related to anything in NZ - it was result of lent term complication from accident in the UK. He settled wonderfully, enjoyed spending his days catching rabbits and lazing in the summer sun or snoozing in front of the log burner.
    Good luck

Hello Saskia,
    We brought our cat from Holland to here as he is very much part of our family, and like you wouldn't dream of leaving him behind.
    He was already 10 years old by the time he got on the plane and he did fine. A bit stressed out after the flights and the month quarantine, but once at home with us he quickly adjusted to NZ life and is very happy here (he is now 16 years!).
    Cheers,
    Nienke

I've just moved my dog from the UK to NZ (she got out of quarantine 3 days ago) and highly recommend Golden Arrow shippers

Hey guys... Thanks for the responses so far. We are going the other way, NZ to UK so this thankfully means no quarantine. Your responses have put me a bit more at ease... Success stories always help! I did a search on this topic and read a few more. Someone else pointed out how cats are generally freaked out several times a day at something random either inside or out anyway (you know, Hoover... Car driving past... Random flying insect... You name it) and that they are much more adaptable than we give em credit for. And that's all true enough, and made me chuckle too.

[QUOTE=sasvanb;434013 Someone else pointed out how cats are generally freaked out several times a day at something random either inside or out anyway (you know, Hoover... Car driving past... Random flying insect... You name it) and that they are much more adaptable than we give em credit for. And that's all true enough, and made me chuckle too. [/QUOTE]

Im going to have to make our new kitten read this. The hoover is her best friend along with anything that moves or that she can move so we now hide everything