Thread: Boxing day!

Default Boxing day!

It's going to be my first Boxing Day in Chch, and I'm totally excited. I'm wondering how much of a big deal this is? Many stores already appear to be having pretty good Xmas sales.. is it worth it holding out and waiting for Boxing Day? Is the difference that big? Or will I risk the stock disappearing and not getting any discount at all after the new year rolls around?

Also, how big a deal is it - do people really rush into the store when it opens (like Black Friday) or is it more of a laid-back thing? Is it worth it making sure we get there when it opens or can we take our time? And is it usually only the big departmental chains that have the biggest discounts on Boxing Day, or do the smaller stores usually go all out on that day as well?

hi althea,

although it will be the second boxing day for me in NZ (last year in was in wellington) but it would be the first one when i will get chance to buy something.

i have heard of some sellers giving a flat discount e.g. 20% on the storewide goods, but i am yet to see it.

here is what i found out on wiki :-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day#Shopping

looking for more inputs from the experienced members here.
    if they are not off for Christmas yet.

You'll find that even with 20% discount, the retailer is still making tons of $ on the item. Good example is to look at Briscoes where paying sticker price is plain robbery.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Does not really answer any of my questions though.

It sounds as though those around on the forum at the moment are not of the keen shopping fraternity!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It sounds as though those around on the forum at the moment are not of the keen shopping fraternity!
    Agreed!!

It'll be my sixth - and so far inhale avoided going shopping on Boxing Day. Just seeing the crowds on the foodpaths and all the cars in the parking lots makes me wanting to

Also, how big a deal is it - do people really rush into the store when it opens (like Black Friday) or is it more of a laid-back thing?
    No it's not a big deal. Nothing compared to where I grew up in Canada where people would camp overnight in front of the door. The problem is in NZ, the market is too small and retailers need to do price gouging so they can pay staff. There is a resistance of retailers to keep sticker prices at a low mark-up, despite big TV advertising that says they'll beat competitor pricing by ie 15%. This way of marketing will never work in places like N. America where big box store mark-ups is around 5-50% Places like Costco work on consignment and have monthly price sensitivity analysis or else lose the spot to sell (5-10% markup is the norm).

I don't know anyone that goes to the post-Christmas sales in NZ, and I've never been. I avoid sales because they make me spend money on things I never knew I needed. I don't think they are as manic as the UK ones.

We didn't come all the way to NZ in order to enjoy a new shopping experience. Only once have we ever been to a boxing day sale in NZ, and only because our TV went bang and we had been waiting for weeks to pick up a new one during the sales. My OH chose the one he wanted from the Noel Leeming on-line sale list, after comparing the spec for a few models. He got up early and turned up a few minutes before the store opening time, and joined a queue to get in and found it nowhere near as busy compared to UK sales. Then again there is nowhere near the level of bargains to be found here as the market is too small. Anyway, while other people jostled over items in the store he went straight up to the counter and said he wanted X item, and walked out with it less than 2 minutes later, came home and got back into bed before the rest of us had even stirred.
    Last edited by Familyofmonkeys; 23rd December 2011 at 10:59 PM.