Thread: Do dog owners clean up after their pooches in NZ?

Question Do dog owners clean up after their pooches in NZ?

I don't know who they are but there are a few people around here who let their dogs mess up pavements, green space, parkland and don't clean up. No consideration for other people. What's it like where you are? (Better I hope......)

Clearing up is expected. But there are always some, aren't there?

Most people I see walking with dogs clean up after them, but yea, there's always a couple that don't.

I usually do, but if I'm in a massive park, and my dog runs down the hill, through the densely wooded part and into the long grass then decides to go there, I usually can't find it. But I'll try to pick up after another dog to at least even it out.

Absolutely! I haven't noticed any dog mess in town, but then you very rarely see dogs in town! Most kiwis seem to keep their dogs outside rather than in the house, they walk them in designated areas and clean up after them. One of the things I like most about Nelson is the clean streets.

I always felt odd one out picking up my dog's leftover

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Most people I see walking with dogs clean up after them, but yea, there's always a couple that don't.

I usually do, but if I'm in a massive park, and my dog runs down the hill, through the densely wooded part and into the long grass then decides to go there, I usually can't find it. But I'll try to pick up after another dog to at least even it out.
    You're all right dilanium! I hope good things happen for you in a karma sort of way for doing your bit.

We have found that it doesn't seem so frowned upon, yet the parks near us (Whangarei) are all very good in this regard, and we certainly always do pick-up.. Having a child I can imagine how I'd feel if he stood in dog poo! Although horses are another matter all together!