Thread: Sponsored partner, partner left me

Default Sponsored partner, partner left me

Hi,

Is it legally my responsibility to notify INZ of our change in situation or is it only her issue as it's her visa?

I've sponsored her for two work permits so far - one was granted for 6 months initially (following arrival on a tourist visa waiver) and then a second one, for 1 year. As many of you know, it was a lot of work and took a lot of input from family and friends. We have been living together in what I believed to be a genuine and stable relationship, here in New Zealand, for almost 2 years now.

She has decided she wants to be 'on her own for a while' and has moved out.

The only thing I'm concerned about is my future ability to sponsor someone, should I some day fall in love with another foreigner. I don't have it in me to ruin things for her here, even though she has betrayed my family and I.

What should I do?

Best regards and thanks

If she had applied for the residence under the family partnership category (which she could have after living 12 months with you) and you supported her application, she should have residence visa in which case nothing could be done. If she hasn't applied or application is under process and you inform INZ about change of circumstances, her application will be declined (exception to domestic violence cases). I am afraid you can not sponsor someone else for five years from the date of (if) residence visa granted to her. Its up to you to notify INZ.

I know it sucks but cross cultural and long distance relationships don't work always.

I am sorry for the hurt you're obviously feeling at the moment.

I couldn't find anything to say that there is any duty on you to inform anyone of what your partner is doing. I see your concern to keep clear with the law in case of some other hypothetical relationship in the future, but at the moment, that IS in the future. Excuse me for speaking about the relationship, which is entirely your and her business, but someone wanting to be on their own for a while isn't necessarily the end of everything. Even if it turns out to be that way, and it's all finished, if someone from INZ were to ask you, 'Why didn't you tell us she had left your shared home?' it would be perfectly reasonable on your part to have left yourselves some time to see how you both felt after some months, and to choose to resume living together or not.

I do wonder about your partner's situation, legally. She must be on the second, 12 months', temporary work visa you mention, with a limited time left. Unless she has in the meantime gained a qualification so she could get a work visa in her own right, or a place to study so she could get a student visa, she will shortly be running out of options. If you were still together, as you've been together more than 12 months to INZ's knowledge, she would be able to apply for Residence as your partner. But if at that time you're not together, any such application would be a false claim, and that could reflect badly on you in the future. I think that's the time when you need to be careful about what is said officially.

Wow .. Thank you kindly for your replies.

JandM is right on the money.

She is on the second 12 month permit with just a few months left. My family and I have given her ample opportunity to apply for residency, saying that we'd support her all the way. To her credit, she said she wanted to be 100% certain this would be a permanent thing first (we were engaged, she is young) as she didn't want to use me for residency. I guess I've been very lucky in that respect as I would have done anything for her.

She is running out of options which is sad for her because she worked very hard to get into university here and pay international rates to study just a couple of papers. Residency would have allowed for domestic rates and even a student loan, as she'd have been here for over 2 years. Life would have be easier for us both. It's a great shame.

Thanks JandM, for your warm and positive perspective on my situation. I feel far more relaxed about it now and won't worry. It has genuinely made my day a whole lot brighter.

Perhaps she can ask her employer to help with her next one. Maybe she will even come home ...

Have a good one ..

To her credit, she said she wanted to be 100% certain this would be a permanent thing first (we were engaged, she is young) as she didn't want to use me for residency.
    Good for her - she's evidently a good person.

You're right. She's very young, and it's not a bad thing to want to sort her thoughts out.

All the very best to both of you, however it turns out.