Thread: Auckland/Avondale residents - spider advice needed please.

Default Auckland/Avondale residents - spider advice needed please.

Hi

Having looked at schools for our teenagers and decided Avondale College is fab, we have hit a major setback.

I have a strong and irrational fear of spiders, especially the big, fast-moving kind. So when I was checking out Avondale generally and I saw info on the Avondale spider, I freaked. Now I know they are harmless and I'm doing all I can to overcome this fear but it's a deal breaker for me if I can't overcome it. Even though the White Tail can give a nasty bite, it doesn't worry me because it's small - that's how irrational this fear is.

What I'd love to know from you residents is how likely I'd be to see one in Avondale and how likely I'd be to see one in the rest of Auckland, please?

Spiders! It had to be spiders! Why couldn't it be snakes, or crocodiles or lions........

Have you tried getting professional help on this? I know people who have lost, or at least, definitely weakened, phobias, by working with hypnotists or other therapists.

That aside, seeing Avondale spiders is not a frequent day-to-day occurrence. In the 5 - 6 months in total I've spent in Auckland, mostly just down the road in Titirangi, I've never seen one (although I would've like to!), but I know they're said to be around in the area. You get to hear of people who have had them turn up. My granddaughter at aged 4 caused a bit of a reaction among the staff (though there was no harm done) when she carried one indoors at kindy, saying, 'Look what I've found.' It usually makes a story because either there are people who, like you, are freaked because it's a spider sharing their space, or because a person who's not shocked by spiders as such gets a sudden surprise when an Avondale emerges from one of the flat places you wouldn't expect them to be able to get into.

We live kinda up the road in Hillsborough and no problem with spiders here apart from the cobwebs here and there

Thanks both.
    I am working on the fear thing. I've downloaded a pic as my PC wallpaper (small size) and today, I managed to touch the legs on the pic (major achievement for me). Next step is to see if I can put a finger on the body part until the panic subsides. Having a nice glass of sav as a reward if I manage it.

Will aim to work up to being able to hold the biggest spider my son can find but that'll take weeks. I think it's best to deal with the fear rather than hope not to see one because if one of those Avondales scuttled across the car when I'm driving, I'll be in real danger of crashing the car.

I can fully understand your feelings- I hate spiders, mainly the ones which move fast and without warning..., we used to have black, plump ones where we lived in Germany and I freaked out when, as a child, we sat in front of the TV at nighttime and all of a sudden one of those raced across the room!
    I have no idea where my fear comes from, since both my parents didn't mind spiders at all! I had a look at the Avondales after I read your post, and although they seem harmless enough they would for sure need some getting used to them!

Good luck with you 'therapy', the sav sounds like a nice reward!

My (non) heredity goes the other way. My mother couldn't bear spiders, but even as toddler I used to say, 'Don't be frightened, Mummy,' apparently, and carry them outside on a teaspoon!

That wouldn't be Avondales then - you'd need a soup ladle for those!!

A tea-plate...

I hate spiders but managed to make myself hold a tarantula at a zoo a few years ago. As long as I didn't look at my hand, I was fine. Made sure I got a photo taken to prove I'd done it!!

However, I do have a massive shark phobia and cannot even look at a photo so I do sympathise with you how hard it can be.