Thread: would submitting an EOI with 140 points, but no work experience listed speed the process up?

Default would submitting an EOI with 140 points, but no work experience listed speed the process up?

Not sure on this one myself....

I currently have a Silver Fern Visa and on a recent recce trip managed to get a job offer. We plan to move mid Feb and I want to get an EOI submitted ASAP and try to progress the PR application as quickly as possible.

Given the challenges I am likely to face trying to get references which satisfy immigration from my previous employers (they will only provide dates worked, salary and job titles) - would it be easier to submit an EOI which reaches 140 points without any work experience?

My job offer is in ICT, so would qualify for the bonus points in "future growth area" as would my qualification so I just wanted to check whether submitting an EOI with no work experience declared would impact that application?

My wife has a medical condition which may delay the timescales anyway, but that is a question for another day.

KR

P

Just to check I'm understanding you correctly, you can get to 140 without counting any points for work experience, is that right? And are you counting points for the job offer?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Just to check I'm understanding you correctly, you can get to 140 without counting any points for work experience, is that right? And are you counting points for the job offer?
    Hi

Yes, sorry, probably did not make myself clear -

I can get over 140 points counting the job offer, but without any work experience:

Job Offer - 50
    Job Offer in Future Growth Area - 10
    Age - 25
    Qualification - 50
    Qualification in Future Growth Area - 10
    Partner's Qualification - 20

Wondering whether adding work experience is expected if you have it, or whether I stand to speed up (my side) of the process meaning I do not have to seek references which will be almost impossible.

Looking at the Residence>>Skilled Migrant (SM11) section of the Operational Manual http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm, I don't see anything to say you SHOULD put in work experience. That being the case, yes, it ought to speed up processing your case if you leave it out - the fewer items there are to verify, the less chance of holdups. Just as long as you're absolutely certain of your right to claim the other points you mention, as you need to have your 140 to be taken out of the pool at the very next selection.

Just for my knowledge JandM, if one decides later that one wants to add experience points to a case like this, would s/he be able to do that? Or is it that once you have applied, you have to live by the points that you have claimed?

Just for my knowledge JandM, if one decides later that one wants to add experience points to a case like this, would s/he be able to do that? Or is it that once you have applied, you have to live by the points that you have claimed?
    You can always edit your EOI (or send in further information, if it was sent in as a form). If you think about it, this is necessary, because there can be weeks or months of waiting, and various details about the applicant can change in this time - for instance, change of address, or job, or a qualification gained. So yes, you could add in details which you'd previously decided to leave out.

However, I imagine that the CO could have some searching questions as to the applicant's reasons, and there would be extremely careful verification of any work experience added in late in that way.

Thinking about the OP's situation, as he has a job offer, the CO is unlikely to interview him. Otherwise, if I were the CO, I would be tempted to ask him how he'd managed to get the offer without any references from previous employers, the whole topic he doesn't want to raise.

thanks for your views guys....

Job offer secured with verbal and informal (non-HR) references, but to get a headed reference of the kind that Immigration NZ look for (from reading this forum) would be difficult. I work in IT Consulting so some of my current and former clients were happy to provide the references that employers look for, but these would not satisfy immigration.

I will submit without work exp and see how I go.

P

Good luck!