Thread: Return Flight - How long can it be delayed?

Default Return Flight - How long can it be delayed?

We are anticipating a decision on our application for PR (parent category) within the next few months but of course there have been many changes since we first began making plans five years ago!!

Even if the application is approved we anticipate delays in selling our house and would certainly get a much reduced exchange rate from what we first anticipated. We are even beginning to wonder if the move is financially viable? It now seems likely that we would have to let our property here and make a return trip to UK at a future date. Although PR would enable us buy one-way tickets, return flights would be the cheaper option.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to delay a return flight for a period of a year or more? We would prefer not to leave all this to an appointed attorney.

I know I'm "jumping the gun" but many of you know how hard it is to wait so long and not be able to do anything at all!! OH is almost 78 so time is not on our side!

There is something called-"Open Ticket" which most airlines provide with a validity of maximum 1 year. You may want to check with your booking agent.
    Note : These "Open Ticket" is for return journey and they cannot be extended beyond 1 year for most Airlines and hence you may loose money if you do not travel back within a years time.
    It would be much easier and flexible if you buy one way ticket and then same when you want to return.

I've got an AirNZ return ticket that I'm using in Feb with a return date in May. I can pay $150 to change the return date, but I must use the NZ to US portion within 365 days.

For our first trip over, we bought a return ticket as far out as we could with Air NZ and then changed the return date later. At the time, the cost of the change was less than the difference for a one way flight. As Dell describes you need to check the fine print to make sure you can keep changing it. We also ended up paying a bit more than the change fee as the price of flights had risen over the year. We paid the change fee plus the difference in fares as well as an admin fee for using the phone to change the flight.

Although we did save a bit, this time we have one way tickets. The problem with a return ticket is that you need to change to a set date. So if your ticket is for August and it is getting close but you know you won't go in August, you have to decide the date you will go, say in October. If you then want to change again, you pay all the fees a second time. At that point, one way is better. So if your dates are completely uncertain, one way is best.

Thanks for above replies. It seems we will have to go for the one-way option. Last time I looked it worked out quite costly but at least should be less hassle!