Thread: IPENZ vs NZQA

Post IPENZ vs NZQA

Hi,

I sent scanned copies of my degree to IPENZ and they have agreed for graduate membership with IPENZ which is annual at a fee of 170 NZ $.
    I need to ask if IPENZ is good enough for my IQA or i should go through NZQA assessment?
    Also, for NZQA, do I need to send in the degrees PHYSICALLY to new zealand?

Hello and welcome.

If your degree is not on the exempt list on the INZ website, with the institution being covered for the date your award was made, using NZQA is obligatory. And yes, if you need to use them, you have to send your certificates.

A looong time ago (in 2006) I applied for permanent residence. My degree was not on the exempt list and I had already been granted GIPENZ. I had not to go through the NZQA process!
    It has most probably helped though that I had a letter from IEAust confirming that they deemed my education and experience equivalent to Professional Engineer.

Thanks for that, Ralf. Sorry, ashabbirz - it looks as though you will be all right with your IPENZ. I didn't realize before that IPENZ did verification.

Here's the INZ Operational Manual on the subject. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/

SM14.5 Recognition of qualifications

Subject to SM14.10.5 and SM14.10.10, a recognised qualification is a qualification that an immigration officer is satisfied occupies a level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) which qualifies it for points by reference to:

the level that the qualification(s) occupies on the NZQF as assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA); or
    the level that the qualification(s) occupies on the NZQF as set out in the List of Qualifications Recognised as an Exception (see Appendix 8); or
    the level that the qualification(s) occupies on the NZQF as set out in the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment (see Appendix 3); or
    the level that the qualification(s) occupies on the NZQF having regard to the full or provisional registration of the principal applicant by a New Zealand organisation authorised by law to give occupational registration, if that registration involves an assessment that the principal applicant's overseas qualification(s) is comparable with a New Zealand qualification that is included in the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment.

Hello

Here is a post from mayarik that might need resurrecting due to the maintenance phase last night:

'I am new to this forum, live in Israel and wait to do IELTS for the EOI (hope in April 12).

Dealt also with IPENZ registration and found it a pretty tough one.
    They require a knowledge assessment for achieving level 7 in NZQA.
    I think I can get 8 but my not 100% sure since my qualification isn't in exempt list
    For level 8 they would still require me to come for interactive interview in NZ for assessment.

For further immigration and work in NZ, can NZQA by itself do some good?
    For IPENZ, I wonder if passing such a complex process and paying so much money provide advantage/s for NZ immigration and work finding?
    Can local referees (not related to IPENZ) count?'

Thanks
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 7th February 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    For further immigration and work in NZ, can NZQA by itself do some good?
    For IPENZ, I wonder if passing such a complex process and paying so much money provide advantage/s for NZ immigration and work finding?
    Can local referees (not related to IPENZ) count?
    In my sector of construction I have never experienced or heard that NZQA brings any advantage - NZQA hasn't been mentioned at all so far.
    IPENZ can replace NZQA, so helps in immigration. I would think that it helps in job finding, as potential employers were already pleased when I told them about my equivalent certification back then.

Not sure what you are referring to re 'local referees'.

Since I am not located in NZ, my local referees are my work colleagues in Israel which can endorse me but they are themselves not related to NZ or to its prof. organizations or memberships. IPENZ have some standards for referees (which fill form #6 about you) as you may know, I am just not sure that my men will fit in.
    Thanks for the answers

hi. i am a civil engineer from the philippines and am a board passer too. i have sent thru my docs with NZQA and probably will get the result next week. Is there any possibility that they will ask me to have my docs send to IPENZ?