Thread: Buying PVC pipe fittings in Chch

Default Buying PVC pipe fittings in Chch

I need a particular sort of pipe fitting to change my showerhead to the handheld variety.. found one in brass but it gave me allergic reactions (I hope it was the brass fitting, not the shower hose). We were looking for the same fitting in PVC.. looked in Mitre 10 and Bunnings, but no luck in either of them. Any suggestions for other DIY shops in Chch selling pipe fittings? Or even online shops that deliver to NZ?

How about a designated bathroom supplier?

Mmm, such as?

I know Bed, Bath & Beyond has nothing of the sort.

I would try the Irrigation Warehouse on Annex Road (off Blenheim road) they have a large range of plastic fittings. On the same road is a company called HCD (I think) who might have what you want. Suppliers of hydraulic fittings might have a stainless steel fitting that would do.

Having said that, it seems highly unlikely that water passing through a brass fitting would pick up enough of anything to cause a reaction?

Yes I would not suspect the brass fitting to pose any allergic reactions. Almost all tap fittings alone have some sort of brass content inside. In Christchurch, the water supply can be a bit 'hard' which can irritate the skin on some people (hence why people use water softeners). Another issue is if the water supply in your home is gravity feed, you might want to check the header tanks up in the roof atic space. Since Christchurch water supply isn't chlorinated, the holding tanks might have some nasties growing inside.

As for sorting out the right tap fitting, you can look up Oakleys (they use to be in town but i'm sure they've relocated).

The thing is that once I removed the handheld shower, everything was peachy, so it can't be the water. I've used plenty of handheld showers before so I doubt the hose is the problem. That leaves the brass fitting, I guess?

Will those suppliers be willing to sell us just one fitting? I thought they supply wholesale or do big projects only.

You can certainly buy the fittings individually but it really is highly unlikely to be the brass. Is there something living in the showerhead or hose? I would dismantle and sterilise it all first. Unless you live in an area of very acidic water, which Chch isn't, the water won't react with the brass in any way. Can you post a picture of the fitting you seek?

I will do so when I manage to get my new camera sorted, thanks! Unlikely that something was living in the showerhead or hose as it was brand new.