Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do British People Need To Apply To Live In New Zealand?

Default Why Do British People Need To Apply To Live In New Zealand?

I am trying to understand this. The UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and some others have the same head of state, Queen Elizabeth. People who live in these countries do not move freely between them. However, we can move to and from the UK and any EU country without sharing the same head of state. Would it not be sensible to have free movement of people with citizenship of countries with the same head of state? I ask this selfishly because I would like to live in New Zealand but I don't qualify. I've tried every avenue. I can't understand how things have been arranged between countries.

Hello and welcome.

There are many people who have come to this forum arguing what they think NZ law OUGHT to be, usually for exactly the same reason as you. We can't actually help with that. There are people here who will do their best to help with what the law IS, though.

For instance, you say you don't qualify to live in New Zealand. Okay, so you don't at the moment. But perhaps you could in the future, if you took a course of training in some career for which qualified workers are in short supply in NZ at the moment. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tialskills.htm Perhaps you could apply for a course of study in NZ, and get a student visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/ Perhaps you could start a business, or invest in NZ. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/ Perhaps you might meet a New Zealander and become eligible as their partner. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../live/partner/

It works both ways. I am a kiwi who has lived in the UK for over 20 years (married to a Brit), and payed taxes to The Biristh Government (and through them Europe), yet I still have to apply for visas to visit European countries. Wheres the sense in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijo View Post
    It works both ways. I am a kiwi who has lived in the UK for over 20 years (married to a Brit), and payed taxes to The Biristh Government (and through them Europe), yet I still have to apply for visas to visit European countries. Wheres the sense in that?
    Really? Which ones are those? I thought most of them would let Kiwis in without visa, just like European passport holders can travel to NZ.

And after 20 years in the UK, I am assuming you would have qualified for British citizenship, which then would have given you more access?

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by Jane BB View Post
    I am trying to understand this. The UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and some others have the same head of state, Queen Elizabeth. People who live in these countries do not move freely between them. However, we can move to and from the UK and any EU country without sharing the same head of state. Would it not be sensible to have free movement of people with citizenship of countries with the same head of state? I ask this selfishly because I would like to live in New Zealand but I don't qualify. I've tried every avenue. I can't understand how things have been arranged between countries.
    Not sure what the question is. All those countries are sovereign countries, the head of state thing is largely ceremonial anyway since the end of the Empire. If you are saying that members of the Commonwealth countries should be allowed to live in all other Commonwealth countries, then are you saying this should apply to all, not just those countries that you name above?

The Commonwealth is not the same as the EU in structure and history, so not sure why you think they should compare?

Have you looked at possible ways for you to emigrate to NZ? As JandM points out, there are numerous ways, and there might very well be one for you!

Good luck,
    Daniela

The UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and some others have the same head of state
    Still - which might change...

The EU states signed agreements allowing freedom of movement across each others' borders. The various acts that granted Commonwealth countries independence or some form of it under governors-general, did not.

End of story, I'm afraid!

LOL funniest thread I ever read on here...oh wait they were serious??

Different countries....I don't see why you should be able to move freely. I think there is a need (not talking about you personally) these days with terrorism etc to be able to have some control over each individual country's borders.
    When we applied we looked into applying as UK citizens vs US (we have both), and you are right there was no advantage to being UK citizens.
    I wish you luck. Have you contacted an immigration attorney perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    I think there is a need (not talking about you personally) these days with terrorism etc to be able to have some control over each individual country's borders.
    AFAIK not overly many terrorists have been caught in these controls or because of the 'new' passport generation with fingerprints and the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast