Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Hired from NZ in WTR

Question Getting Hired from NZ in WTR

Hi everyone!

Prior to getting my WTR approval last January 2, I had discussion with my current employer (from overseas) about the possibility of hiring me from NZ to continue my work with them. But since their branch in NZ has closed down 4 years ago and the closest one they have is from Australia, I consulted my CO about the eligibility of an employment from an Australian company in NZ. I was told that an arrangement like that will not satisfy the 3 months employment required to decide on my deferred residence application, after that I ditched the idea and decided to just look for another job in NZ.

After I told them recently that I got my visa, they decided they still want to hire me from NZ, but through a consulting firm. So basically, they will partner with consulting firm who will hire me and work for them as client, technically that sounds perfectly OK to satisfy the 3 months requirement. But the firm we're talking to right now is ALSO based in Australia, I was able to talk to the boss of the consulting firm and he seems determined to hire me, I told him about the requirement of employer being NZ-based and he said that he can go and register his company in NZ and make it a done deal.

Do you see any risks to my immigration if I take the offer? It seems like it's perfectly legal and as long as I satisfy the 3 month requirement working for an NZ employer, I should get my residence approved.

Thanks everyone in advance!

As long as you are paid in NZ in NZD with tax deducted and paid to IRD NZ and the consultancy can back you up with letter that they are NZ registered company and have hired you permananetly for NZ operations, I do not see any problems.

Thanks Ankit!

The consultancy thought they needed to go through the accreditation process (proving no one in NZ can fill the position) to hire me. Since I'm on WTR, is it correct that they don't need to be an accredited employer in order to offer me a job? I looked at the employer letter immigration gave me and it didn't indicate anything about accredited employer there, in fact it says I can work for any employer. Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated!

Bumping this thread.. thanks!

You're in such a rare situation here, there may not be anyone with experience to share. I agree with you about what the wording appears to mean.

It does sound to be one rare exception.....One suggestion I would make (just in case you haven't thought of this) is to put it in an email & get response in black&white as if some other Case Officer picks up your application while putting on Residency visa they would not question on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimoose View Post
    The consultancy thought they needed to go through the accreditation process (proving no one in NZ can fill the position) to hire me. Since I'm on WTR, is it correct that they don't need to be an accredited employer in order to offer me a job? I looked at the employer letter immigration gave me and it didn't indicate anything about accredited employer there, in fact it says I can work for any employer. Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated!

Here's the response I got from my CO in Beijing:

It is not necessary for you to get the skilled employment from an accredited employer.

So for people in WTR with occupation listed in LTSSL, they can take skilled employment from ANY employer in NZ to get residence. Take note that I mentioned "Skilled" (relevant to what you applied for in your EOI) and not just any employment. Technically you're also allowed to take any job, but if it's not relevant to your skill, you will most likely be denied residence.

Hope this helps.

Only requirements is skilled jon and pay according to market rate, no accreditation required. I went through same route (wtr-pr), employment was skilled and relevant to experience and qualification but employer was not accredited.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimoose View Post

Perfect! So I would understand as long as the role is aligned to your skills and salary is as per market rate...go for it .

Riz had similar experience so you can just follow his personal suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast