Thread: Medicals tomorrow-Form details

Default Medicals tomorrow-Form details

Well my medicals are tomorrow morning and Im quite nervous. Im fretting that even the littlest thing filled out wrong will get me a big fat no from INZ.

I was going through the forms earlier, re-reading, making notes and...highlighting important details for when my examiner is filling them out on their own, but now Im a little worried, will the INZ care that I highlighted a few parts? And if I staple sections together to make sure they arent lost in the process of leaving them with my doctor, is that going to be a big deal?

As Im saying this I know it sounds a little crazy to worry about such tiny things but gosh sometimes you just never know how strict they are going to be.

I appreciate all responses!

Also! In section E2 that refers to the Blood Tests- the four tests at the bottom under "Discretionary tests", does this mean it is up to the medical examiner whether they want to order for those or not based on the applicants overall health? What should I tell my doctor if they ask about this section and whether or not to order them? I am young and healthy (and also would appreciate not having to pay for blood tests that I dont really need).

Any opinions?

I don't have the form in front of me, but from memory, the discretionary tests are for use if the medical examiner finds that the patient has a BMI and/or waist measurement over the limits stated. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I don't have the form in front of me, but from memory, the discretionary tests are for use if the medical examiner finds that the patient has a BMI and/or waist measurement over the limits stated. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf
    I think it is wider ranged. E.g. my GP immediately asked for some further testing because of my splenectomy.
    (Which per se and its result was not an issue!)

Ok I will bear this is in mind if my doctor asks me. I've got the medical handbook pulled up on my iphone just in case I need to whip it out and lay down the law (my doctor is kind of a beeotch haha)

Thanks for the responses....here I go!

I might be wrong- but we had to have blood tests for myself and my wife (but not my 11, 8 and 3 yr old children).

We are around BMI 25/26 each so the blood test was part of the normal process (not because of weight issues!)

Eliot

There are certain blood tests you have to have for liver function, HIV status etc. but there are others which are dependent upon bmi and waist size. I remember the magical figure of 88cm sitting in my head, but I had fasted in case I needed the cholesterol and sugar tests as I knew I would have to go back for them otherwise. Thankfully fasting, and the elastic tape measure got me under 88cm!

It was relatively easy to ascertain what was required. The doctor carrying out the exam is not required to exert judgement, just write his findings down. Judgement lies with the doctors employed by NZIS.

Our doctor told us that NZ have the strictest ME for immigration. Don't panic at that tho, he meant that they now ask for every blood test up front. That means that if anything is 'abnormal', they already have the blood results to check, therefore saving you time and money in not having to have discretionary tests done.

For eg. my BMI was 31 and my waist was larger than they like but as they'd done all the fasting lipids at the time, they could see my cholesterol etc was normal and that my weight was not a medical issue.
    OH cholesterol was 6.6 but they were not concerned as his BP, weight and BMI was normal.

I hope this alleviates some of your concerns. We too, were terrified of having the ME but our doctor was lovely as was the nurse and explained everything. Don't forget, they've done loads of these and will know exactly what to do

Thanks all for your responses!
    My doctor ordered the standard blood tests and due to my young age and low bmi, as well as my previous medical history, saw absolutely no reason to order the others. I'll be picking up all the results and the full medical paperwork this week and I'll be hoping my eagle eye will spot if any tiny thing is missing (would hate for a lack of initials or an un-ticked box to be my downfall).