Thread: BMI question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default BMI question

Hi all,

I have been reading some of the threads on BMI and I'm a bit confused. The threads mention that your BMI has to be below 35 but the Handbook for Medical Examiners seems to suggest that you have to be below 30.

It says:
    The box adjacent to ‘1. No significant or abnormal findings’ should be ticked when all the
    following criteria are met:
    The physical findings are completely normal, no significant recent weight loss, BMI in a normal
    range and less than or equal to 30, waist circumference and BP at or below the thresholds
    stated, no significant cardiac murmurs, normal urinalysis, and a visual acuity no less than 6/12
    in the best eye, corrected where necessary.

The handbook is here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Am I reading this wrong?

My BMI is around 33.5 and I really want to do my medical examination within the next few months. I have been steadily losing weight over the last year but I am doubtful that I can lose the amount I need to reach 30 in the next 6 weeks.

Help???

Laura

I have just read through the handbook and it says the BMI must be less than or equal to 35 or further tests may be required. I have found the section you mention and they way I read it is that if you are over BMI 30 but less than 35 you should be ok - only if over 35 will you need more tests. All I can say is keep on dieting and things should be ok.

When we had our medicals, the doc was okay with a slightly raised BMI (mine was 31) as long as other findings are okay eg. BP, cholesterol etc.

Good luck and try not to worry

Thanks, that's very reassuring. I'll keep trying to lose the weight but won't delay the medical on that basis.

Laura

I have the same issue, my Bmi is 31.5, and i should conduct the medical after one week. i am a little bit worrid if the bmi will affect the result or no