Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving licence renewal

Default Driving licence renewal

On chatting too some resident kiwis on another forum, the subject of driving licences came up. In particular the renewing thereof. It would seem you may need an eye test. Here is what I was told.

Thats right Pingu, our driving licences expire and we have to do an eye test on the spot for the renual along with an up to date photo. So if you can't find a corn flakes packet with a suitable licence offer on the back or someone to bribe at the licencing bureau, its an official eye test.

Mind you, there are thousands of drivers on our roads that appear to have their eyes painted on and believe that road rules are whatevever you can get away with.

I think most of the road rules must become lost in translation from the English language to the Asian version, for instance :-

"Brake" seems to translate to anytime and any place for anything without a forseable reason.

"Indicate" translates to "Do what, why ?"

And the best I've seen yet is "EXIT", this generaly translates to "Well if they came get off the motorway along there, then surely I can get on it the same way?"

I watch 'Motorway Patrol' on Sky from behind the cushion, they're all wandering round on the motorway like they are just out for the day!

Deborah

I am dreading getting applying for my NZ licence its "only* a theory test but passing my UK driving test was a very expensive hobby I had for a few years
    I've got a year to get so may think about taking it soon just in case I have to do a few of them.....

Miffy I've been putting it off too - we have just over a month in which to do our theory tests.. WOW, we've been here nearly a year!!

Time flies....

Just for those of you who are unaware of the situation here in sunny NZ.

If you already have your UK licence, then you only need to take the 'written' test. This consists of 35 scratch card, multiple choice questions which in reality, is a breeze. You are also required to pass the eye test after which you are requested to attend an interview :bobby . Unless you are a complete bonehead at this, you will be granted your licence.

You also have to take an eye test everytime you apply for renewal. This test consist of sticking your head on a machine and reading 'left' eye, 'right' eye, both eyes. If you pass all three rows of 6-7 letters then you have passed the test. If you fail any one of the three, then you are required to go to an optician to get a certificate for driving.

The problem with this system is that the machine they use, tests for full bonocular vision, even though this is not a requirement to pass the test. Around a third of applicants get referred to the opticians. I have failed the basic eye test every time so now go to the opticians first to get the eye exam certificate, before applying for renewal.

You are required to renew your licence every 'fifth' birthday.
    ie 25, 35, 45 etc. If your first licence application is between these times then the length of the licence granted is pro rata to take you to the next milestone.
    This is so that when you reach the ripe old age of 65, they only grant you a five year licence. You may even need to take an eye test every year after 65 (I'm not sure on that one).

I was one of the unlucky ones that arrived here and was given a licence for life. 2 years later they changed the licences to credit card style, and I had to apply for renewal again. then another 3 years and I was at my next milestone. So I've been in NZ for 9 years and had to renew my licence 3 times.

Hope this info helps to clear up a few worries.

I wouldn't get in a stew about taking the test. I kept putting it off as i was really worried about it but it was really easy.

the multiple choice questions for the main part are so obvious
    ie...you see a pedestrian at the crossing waiting to cross do you...
    a. try to get across in front of them....... :eek
    b. make them wait for you....... :eek
    c. stop and let them cross the road. :bobby

Thats not a quote one but it is the sort of choice you get on some of them

So in summary the eye test is all you require to renew your licence? (once NZ lic granted)

Is there a cost element?

Paul

Don't delay any longer if you are coming up for a year. We have got ourselves in a potentially very expensive pickle by inadvertently going past our 12 months on a UK licence. The date passed about three weeks ago and you know how it is, getting our kiwi licences hasn't been a high priority with all the other stuff going on, reluctant to fork out the $80 each for the test... and then Mr Rr had a crash last week. His fault (blinded by the sunlight, didn't see the car he pulled out in front of). Our car is bashed up, the other guy's is a write off. ops:

No doubt you can spot where this is going... Becuase we have been here 13 months our UK licences are not valid... so our insurance is not valid. So we are going to have to stump up for our own repairs, and will no doubt be chased by the other guys insurers when our own insurers wash their hands of us... > So we'll have to pay up the market cost of his car (luckily and old corolla so only (!) a couple of grand, plus whatever other costs the insurers want to recover.

It's going to be a very expensive accident, the cost of which could have been avoided by just getting our asses down to the AA and sitting the test at any point in the last 12 months. The polisman who attended the accident was fine, just told us to get it done pronto.

so GET YOUR KIWI LICENCE NOW! The weekend we've just had would have been enough to send me home if we didn't have the financial werewithal to deal with it. As it is, it's been intensely worrying and unpleasant. And a waste of so much money - including a worthless premium.

Woz picked up the application forms today

Thanks for posting on that thread Ruthyroo - it motivated me to just go out and do it. What a mess for you - I'm really sorry and all for the sake of a month. You would think the fact you had paid your insurance regularly would be some kind of mitigation and that the insurance company would pay at least for the other vehicle.

Well after putting it off for ages - it was a breeze. Got 100% on the scratch test after reading the whole thing through once ages ago and then spending a couple of nights going through just the answer section. So anybody worrying about taking the scratch test - don't. If I can do it the way my memory is these days, anyone can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast