Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic tv

Default Panasonic tv

Hi

I have a panasonic plasma tv purhcased in the US (tc-p50u2 is the model). Im tyring to work out whether it will work in New Zealand or not. Any tech minded bods on here that could help?

Thanks very much

Your mains voltage in the USA is 120V @ 60Hz.
    The mains voltage in NZ is 230V @ 50Hz.
    So I doubt you can just swap the plug and plug it in here.

Cheers
    G

Virtually all flat screen TVs use switch mode power supplies that operate in the range of 100 - 250 volts AC. Voltage will not be a problem if you look on the back of the TV and see this spec.

Plasma TVs are relatively inexpensive in NZ and it's probably not worth the space to fill in the container? Definitely not worth the shipping cost if you paid for the postage.

What about stereos? I've got a brilliant Onkyo thats only two years old, but operates on 120 volts and 60 Hz. Could I just use a power plug adapter and hope for a few years before the fan burns out due to different Hz in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
    Hi

I have a panasonic plasma tv purhcased in the US (tc-p50u2 is the model). Im tyring to work out whether it will work in New Zealand or not. Any tech minded bods on here that could help?

Thanks very much
    I brought a Vizio and use it with just the plug adapter because it says 100-240. It works well and we have Sky hooked up through an HDMI cord. SuperBQ is right, televisions are very inexpensive so if you don't need to save the cash in hand, you'll be able to find something awesome and well priced.

Sorry, Scott, your stereo won't last years if it only has the 120 on it. It will only last a few moments.

Kiwieagle, you mention tvs are inexpensive. How about stereos? Can you refer me to a few electronics retailers in NZ so I can check on-line prices?

You may check website for Harvey Norman for rough idea.

Harvey Norman, Dick Smith, Noel Leeming, Warehouse, Farmers

Stereos are slightly more expensive than in the USA but not outrageously so.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 9th March 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    What about stereos? I've got a brilliant Onkyo thats only two years old, but operates on 120 volts and 60 Hz. Could I just use a power plug adapter and hope for a few years before the fan burns out due to different Hz in NZ?
    You can't just use a plug adapter, you will also need a step-down transformer.

It is highly unlikely that the fan runs on AC or at least relies on the mains frequency so doubt there will be any trouble there.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Kiwieagle, you mention tvs are inexpensive. How about stereos? Can you refer me to a few electronics retailers in NZ so I can check on-line prices?
    Try Pricespy

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    You can't just use a plug adapter, you will also need a step-down transformer.
    You can pick up one for 80 at Dick Smith's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast