Thread: Am I at fault here?

Default Am I at fault here?

I bought a GrabOne voucher for a car service at Autotech, Christchurch. The manager, whom I spoke to on the phone, told me to come "around lunchtime, and pick my car up in the evening". So I turned up at 1pm, and he says, "You're too late, we booked you in for a 12pm-1pm slot"! Am I the only one who thinks that 'around lunchtime' is a loose term that could mean 'anytime between 12 to 2'? I told him that I did not think 'lunchtime to evening' is synonymous with '12 to 1' and that if they were on such a tight schedule he should have told me exactly what my timeslot was instead. He says, "Well, actually they do mean the same thing, but..." ?!

So now I have to wait a week, forgo the weekend trip that I have planned since my car isn't serviced yet, and go the next week. Is 'lunchtime' really Kiwi-speak for 'strictly 12 o clock'????

I can't speak for all Kiwis but in my husband's family, yes, lunchtime means really close to 12 o'clock. To me, if you mean exactly 12 o'clock you say, 12 o'clock or noon and lunchtime is anywhere between 11ish and 2ish. Fortunately, I didn't find this out in as inconvenient a way as you! However, the way he said it is kind of ambiguous because he did also say "the evening". So it sounds quite generic to me. I'm probably still wrong and lunchtime is synonymous with precisely 12 noon. It doesn't matter whether or not you were right, this is NZ and you don't have the right to good customer service. Don't you realize they are doing you a favor by being in business?

We got the same GrabOne voucher I think - well, it was for Autotech anyway - but booked in for a 10am service, so no real problem.. I always ask for a specific time, mainly because I am rubbish at getting it right it I don't have specifics and vague times irritate me anyway (like deliveries that are supposed to come "in the morning"!).

The annoying part here is that having bought the voucher, they already have your money. The worst you can do to them now is not return, and to mention their customer service skills to others - as you already are

P.S. Our service experience was fine, but they left several stickers on our car that I didn't notice until I got home *grr*

I think he was being pedantic

Its pretty odd to give lunchtime to someone and it is subjective as not everyone leaves for lunch at 12 (btw that's noon right!). Today morning I dropped an sms for similar car service and the chap replies he will fix my car tomorrow morning...I did drop another sms asking for exact time.