Thread: Best Areas in Auckland (Again)

Default Best Areas in Auckland (Again)

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Penrose, we've been looking at Waitakere City, Manukau City & Papakura for starters. Our daughter is 5 (almost 6) so we're looking for a family friendly area with good schools.

All advice welcome.

Many thanks
    Stuart

Manukau will be the easiest commute out of the 3

Alot of where you can live will depend on what you can afford. Papakura is cheaper unless you want to stay in the Karaka side. Henderson varies and so does Manukau

I would say anywhere along Remuera, Greenlane, Ellerslie, Te papapa and Onehunga will be fine (as long as you are close to train station) which will reduce lot of travel time for you by train. Remuera & Greenlane are bit on the expensive side but with really good schools around. Manukau city is also very good & developed area but personally I don't like travelling that side especially with my beautiful wife & daughter

But mount smart station is miles away from the business end of penrose!

This may help with other transport options. http://www.maxx.co.nz/

(There are some very nice parts of Henderson, which I see has been mentioned above.)

Obviously depends on your budget, but have you looked at Ellerslie, the new 'suburb' Stonefields, and places like Kohimarama, St Heliers, Glendowie? It depends a little bit on where you are working in Penrose as to what train station is closest, might be worth checking that out on the net. The office I worked in in Penrose was closest to Ellerslie train station, but I cycled there.

I personally prefer a shorter commute, or one that is doable by bike/train/other public transport, so I wouldn't look at anywhere out West, but of course preferences vary.

I don't know much about the South, so can't help with that.

Good luck with your search,

Daniela

Hi

We live in Howick and my husband works in Penrose, it takes him half an hour to get to work when he leaves at 7.30am.

Howick, Farm Cove, Mellons Bay all have good primary and intermediate schools.

Hope this helps.

That's good to know. I think we'll look at Howick & surrounding areas also Albany up on North Shore. Finding a good school is top of the list.