Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North island vs South island - Pro's & cons

Default North island vs South island - Pro's & cons

When we moved to NZ in 2008 we had decided we wanted to live on the South island and the Christchurch area. When we return, at the moment we are still planning to move to the same area. However we have recently seen a programme on TV which shows Auckland and the North Island. This part of NZ looks more lush & green than the South Island and boasts some lovely scenery so I wondered if I could get a balanced view of both islands with regards to work, property, lifestyle etc... Schools aren't an issue as our children are grown up and as a nurse work should not be a problem. Thanks in advance

I think it's quite hard to compare the whole of the South Island to the whole of the North Island, as there is so much variety in both places. Essentially, they all feel like the same country, but from town to town and city to city there is quite a lot of variation. I have just spent a few days in Auckland, and it felt very different to my life in rural Cambridge. There is still a huge variety of landscapes and scenery in the North Island. Some of it (e.g. the Central Plateau) is as spectacular as that on the South Island. Much of it is very green and rolling. Overall there is less native bush, but again, that depends on where you move to. I think the climate varies considerably around New Zealand, and on the whole it is likely to rain more in most places on the North Island than in Christchurch - although not so much on the East coast. It really depends! The North Island has plenty of spectacular scenery, if that is what you are after.

Hi Nikki
    we lived in 2008 in wellington and did not like it for us it was too windy, I never thought I would live in a bigger city but I really like Auckland, i live on the North Shore and commute to Grafton to the Medical scholl opposite Auckland hospital and Starship i travel early so do not find the traffic bad, I like the beaches the openess and as you say the coutryside i discover something different each week. We have found 'jafas' to be more dog freindly in fact I think every other house in Torbay has a dog or 2. Even in the summer dogs are allowed on the beach before 10am and after 6pm some all day which is great but there is lots of reserves and walkways to go, i discovered a new one along the shore on tuesday evening. Negatives can be very humid and lots of rain! some days I take the dog out and have to come back and shower. You never seem far from facilities, we have Albany 5 mins down the road with shops and cinema and lots and lots of decent cafes many have all year round heating

I would say you cannot compare these islands as such as they are in themselves very diverse, especially South Island e.g. Central Otago and West Coast!

Generally all coastal areas are green and lush. As the upper North Island is rather narrow it lacks 'inland' climate and landscape.

I find that there are great differences within the regions of Auckland itself let alone try and fathom the pros and cons of North versus South.

Whilst all the above is true, there are at least two significant differences between the two islands. The NI has a greater population and more cities of a significant size so it feels less cut off and remote than the SI in general, particularly if you're within strike of Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga. The NI also has more ethnic diversity in its urban centres:

Considerable variation in ethnicity existed between main urban areas. North Island urban areas, especially Auckland, showed greater ethnic diversity. Almost 1 in 5 people (19.0 percent) in Central Auckland zone identified with an Asian ethnic group in 2001, compared with approximately 1 in 100 people in Invercargill. Approximately 1 in 4 people in Porirua and Southern Auckland identified with the Pacific peoples ethnic group. Gisborne and Rotorua urban areas had the highest proportion of Māori (41.6 percent and 37.5 percent, respectively). In Kapiti and Nelson over 94.0 percent of people identified with European ethnic groups, the highest proportion of any main urban area, compared with only 54.1 percent of people in Southern Auckland zone.
    (from:http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...as/people.aspx)

Depends what you're looking for in an area, I guess, but when we traveled the north and south islands we noticed the differences and decided the SI would be wonderful for a holiday but probably not for us to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    The NI also has more ethnic diversity in its urban centres:
    I'm not sure about that. There are more people of non European ethnic groups, agreed. But if there are really more ethnic groups at all, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I'm not sure about that. There are more people of non European ethnic groups, agreed. But if there are really more ethnic groups at all, not sure.
    If you're not sure- go look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    If you're not sure- go look it up.

I havn't found this documented in detail as generally data are provided for categories innwhich several groups are combined; e.g. Scandinavian for Danish, Finnish and so on.

So perhaps you could provide me with a link?

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post

I havn't found this documented in detail as generally data are provided for categories innwhich several groups are combined; e.g. Scandinavian for Danish, Finnish and so on.

So perhaps you could provide me with a link?
    You're splitting hairs. I don't have to go look it up- you can just click the link I gave you ... most the urban centers on the NI are more ethnically diverse than the urban centers on the SI. Of course you can probably find one or two people from each ethnic group in almost any town or city in NZ but that does not make those towns or cities ethnically diverse.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast