Thread: What are the costs at the port?

Default What are the costs at the port?

Hello Everyone!

Quick question here. I am shipping my household goods (all boxes) to ChCh in about a week
    and the shipping company I am considering to use (Crown International Forwarders) will cover
    the following costs:

1. Export Documentation ( Shipper’s Export Declarations and Ocean Bill of Lading )
    2. Export Handling Fee
    3. U.S. port charges as well as wharfage fee
    4. Ocean transportation from warehouse Los Angeles , CA to warehouse Auckland or Christchurch , New Zealand
    Marine insurance is optional. If required, it is available at 1.75% of the insured value ( Total Loss Coverage ).

I came across this online:

Christchurch Arrival Charges

Port service charge - NZD 75 per cubic meter

Delivery Order - NZD 35

MAF Permit - NZD 39.82 if required

MAF Inspection - NZD 195 if required

Forestry Fee - NZD 3.42 per cubic meter

Customs Unaccompanied Bag - NZD 250 if required

Can anyone let me know what I can expect to pay? I will be picking up the boxes at the port,
    so that was not included in his quote (as you can see). And while I'm at it: should I palletize
    or leave the boxes loose?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. = )

Aidan

Hello and welcome.

I'm sure you'll be getting some replies from people who've done this when NZ wakes up.

Can anyone let me know what I can expect to pay?
    You'll need a broker to clear your goods coming into NZ. The fees that you list are for the NZ end and normally are NOT included in overseas quotes. The reason is that no fixed price quote can be determined because something like a MAF inspection (which is picked randomly) can occur and add more costs to the shipping.

I will be picking up the boxes at the port, so that was not included in his quote (as you can see). And while I'm at it: should I palletize or leave the boxes loose?
    If you have many boxes, it's best to go on a pallet and shim wrap it because when it comes to unloading the container, it's faster to use a forklift than to manually carry the boxes out in quarantine. Also it keeps the dust off. However, in some cases (i've seen) that boxes on a pallet can get split up. A case where the whole pallet won't fit in the container so the shipping agent ends up loose packing the boxes into the container. Of course in this method, a higher risk of goods can go missing

Depend on how much it is your best option would be to get the handling company at this end to do a port to door service. If its 10 boxes and you got the transportation and time because pickup is time sensitive you can do it yourself but by them taking it to the warehouse implies they have paid the port charges