Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to cycle in NZ?

Default Is it safe to cycle in NZ?

Reading between the lines it was six of one half a dozen of the other. If you shout at a complete stranger and give him "the finger" you don't really know how it's going to turn out. Nothing to do with cycling really.

There are several quite recent threads within this forum on the topic...

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Reading between the lines it was six of one half a dozen of the other.
    I don't understand this.

Are you saying that the fault is with both to the same extent, or that if you show someone the finger who has just almost run you over, you can expect to be punched?

Daniela

The driver was driving really really close and almost agressively... seems like the driver has no tolerance for cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Reading between the lines it was six of one half a dozen of the other. If you shout at a complete stranger and give him "the finger" you don't really know how it's going to turn out. Nothing to do with cycling really.
    Last edited by fayevalentine; 12th January 2012 at 03:10 PM.

I've been following Russ and Luara's blog (www.thepathelesspedaled.com) for a while now and was super excited when they annouced they were going over to NZ to cycle. Even wanted to meet them up if the timing is right. To read that they have been punched in the face by a motorist was really shocking for me as my impression of the people in NZ are really good. Hope this is just a one off nut case..

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    There are several quite recent threads within this forum on the topic...

@fayevalentine, I guess this is an isolated incident. I am planning to start cycling once I am in NZ.

However, I see a lots of car accidents recently in stuff.co.nz and nz herald from the start of Holiday season.

Yeah i believe it is too. Just kinda unsettling to read reports like this and especially from 2 people whose blog i actually follow.

Quote Originally Posted by nz_newbie View Post
    @fayevalentine, I guess this is an isolated incident. I am planning to start cycling once I am in NZ.

However, I see a lots of car accidents recently in stuff.co.nz and nz herald from the start of Holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by nz_newbie View Post
    @fayevalentine, I guess this is an isolated incident.
    It is only isolated in the degree of violence this particular driver was willing to go into. The underlying attitude is unfortunately not isolated at all. Usually, they restrain themselves though to cutting you off, beeping their horns, shouting abuse out of windows, and gesturing wildly...

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    It is only isolated in the degree of violence this particular driver was willing to go into. The underlying attitude is unfortunately not isolated at all. Usually, they restrain themselves though to cutting you off, beeping their horns, shouting abuse out of windows, and gesturing wildly...

Daniela

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast