Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .... I realise its been over five years now :)

Default .... I realise its been over five years now :)

OK,

I don't post much on here these days, but after catching our first fish with my 3 year old son from Petone Wharf today it caused me to reflect on just how much things have changed......

I was a Senior Lecturer (Engineering / Physics) at one of the major UK Postgraduate Universities and Jade worked in the Civil Service (policy) six years ago back when the Govt in the UK were making massive redundancies in that sector, and walked in with a flyer from the NZ Civil Service that had made the rounds through the Whitehall Pubs. After a short '..Are you considering it dear?' we said why not and started an EOI. We looked at the PR application paperwork and decided it was far simpler than most grant applications and we could easily do that ourselves and went the 'DIY' route to applying for PR. I went as principal applicant and got 160 points for the application which we lodged in June 2006.

We planned to sell the house privately (we had a buyer) and come over to NZ and have a long holiday and then look for work in Wellington. All did not quite work to plan;
    1. Even on a private house sale, the lawyers can make a dogs dinner of the process in the UK (in fact it dragged on until November)
    2. I got interviewed and offered a Research position in September with an October Start in NZ
    3. Because of 1 and 2 we had no big holiday, and I had to come out six weeks ahead of Jade with our 14 year old cat!

I started work in October with an incredibly well educated, multi-national, and diverse team. (2/3 staff have PhD's and 50% from overseas, with staff of ~ 400). The work was challenging and stimulating.

Jade came over in November, and was being requested for interview almost as soon as she stepped off the plane; in fact she had 3 decent job offers within two weeks of arrival.

..... over the last five years everything has changed;
    1. I used to be overweight and smoked like a chimney.
    2. We've won awards from the Royal Society for our work.
    3. We have a Son (the only Kiwi in the house)
    4. I quit smoking four years ago.
    5. I lost 60 kg of weight.
    6. I now cycle about 300 km a week, have done the Taupo cycle challenge, doing Round the Mountain at the end of the month, and am now generally fit.
    7. I survived a prostate scare and biopsy and have type II diabetes in remission.
    8. I have some really great friends here.
    9. We've discovered a love of camping, outdoors and fun with ourselves and take great joy with our son Matiu.
    10. I have a lot of responsibility and some great professional challenges (and stress)

Just sitting on the wharf with Matiu as we hooked that fish brought it home .... would I really have been doing that now if we hadn't changed taken a chance and changed course over five years ago?

.... I'm not saying its perfect, but life is what you make it and ours is pretty good, with some really good 'mates'!!

Rod

Aw, bravo not-so-BigRod!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRod View Post
    OK,
    5. I lost 60 kg of weight.
    6. I now cycle about 300 km a week, have done the Taupo cycle challenge, doing Round the Mountain at the end of the month, and am now generally fit.
    Wow !! Really inspiring!!

Nice update Rod and congrats especially on the amazing weight loss. Time flies when you are having fun eh?
    You forgot to mention that you were on NZ tv too

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Nice update Rod and congrats especially on the amazing weight loss. Time flies when you are having fun eh?
    Yep, time *really* flies. Was talking to Mel Ingals last week and realised we last spoke just before Matiu's birth (3 years).

... also forgot the two TV appearances, plus the Wellington Gold awards, my team in Chch who despite being through hell still deliver outstanding results, and the huge network we have built here!

.... BTW when was the last time we had chance to catch up eh? ... and we live within a few km of each other!!!

Rod

So it's not worked out for you then.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Agree!!

Congrats Rod and thanks for this inspiring post

Quote Originally Posted by BigRod View Post

.... I'm not saying its perfect, but life is what you make it and ours is pretty good, with some really good 'mates'!!

Rod

WoW... INSPIRING and sooooo POSITIVE...

Thank-you for the update!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast