Thread: Moving to NZ as a couple- Harder?

Default Moving to NZ as a couple- Harder?

My boyfriend and I want to move to NZ for work at the end of this year.

Being a couple, im a little confused as to whether we’d both need to qualify for a visa, or once one of us secured a job and visa, it would entitle us both to move, and the other could find a job once we move over.

Would the fact that we are not married make a difference? (we do own a property together).

My partner turns 30 this year, if we were to arrive in NZ on a working holiday visa in order to secure jobs would he need to do this before his 30th or 31st Birthday?

Realisitcally, how viable is it to come on a working holiday visa, secure a reasonably senior position (for my partner at least), and then apply for a more perminant visa? Do employers often go for this more risky strategy or do they prefer a longer term visa from the beginning?

We’re very much at the beginning of this complicated process so any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I know that your partner cannot be more than 30 years old to apply for the working holiday visa, however i am unsure if that mean he must be 29.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

You may want to consider other visa options, as i am not 100% sure if you can sponsor partners on a WHV. Perhaps a temp work visa is a better option.
    If you are in a de-facto relationship having a Property together is a big help in proving your relationship in your application, however because you are not married you may also need to provide further evidence to support your application, such as:
    Joint bills, photo's, relationship history, testimonials, joint bank account etc.

I'm sure others on here will now much more about this than myself, but i hope the info helps.

Hello and welcome.

If you are going to enter NZ on a WHV, you will each need one. Your partner can apply - he needs to be no more than 30 (that is, 30 is all right) at the time the application goes in.

Conditions for partners vary with different kinds of visa. If you go for Residence under Skilled Migrant, whoever is the main applicant includes the partner in the application - if the main applicant is successful, the partner also gets Residence. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm If one of you qualifies for a Work Visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/, the partner can apply for a work visa under the Family Stream, sponsored by their partner, and they will get a visa matching the first one for length of time. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

Immigration NZ does not make any difference for married or non-married couples - you have to prove live-in partnership, and the website (and old threads on here) will show you the kind of proofs required.

Realisitcally, how viable is it to come on a working holiday visa, secure a reasonably senior position (for my partner at least), and then apply for a more perminant visa?
    Plenty of people on the forum have done this. Someone on a WHV may not legally be given a permanent position, so co-operation from the employer is necessary, taking the person on on a limited term contract, then making them an offer of a permanent job that they can show to INZ to qualify them for a Work Visa, or directly for Skilled Migrant.

Thanks that was really helpful : )

Forgive me as this may be a stupid question, but if my partner had a Work Visa and I came as his partner, that would give me the right to work too?!

Quote Originally Posted by jennynwilko View Post
    Thanks that was really helpful : )

Forgive me as this may be a stupid question, but if my partner had a Work Visa and I came as his partner, that would give me the right to work too?!
    You would have an open Work Visa (i.e. one that isn't tied to any particular job), that would be the same length as his for time. See the last link I gave you above.

Then, assuming you want to stay in NZ long term, he could apply for Residence under Skilled Migrant, which you as his partner would get, too. If you put in for Work Visas and Skilled Migrant at about the same time, you can save yourselves some effort and money by using the same medicals, police certificates, etc..