Thread: GSM networks

Default GSM networks

Hi everyone,

what is the best GSM network in NZ, or if there is a simple comparison between them?
    I wanted to know also where do you get a sim card when you first arrive at NZ, is it available in the airport?

thanks

Vodafone offers the best GSM network due to its coverage, 2 Degrees also offer GSM, however once out of the 3 main centers (Auck, Welly and Chch) 2 Degree sim cards will roam on the Vodafone network.
    Telecom NZ operates a high speed UMTS network that is far superior than the above two, not just for its data speeds but also its coverage.

There is a Vodafone store located at Auckland international airport - Ground floor, arrivals area.

Depends on the region where you want to use it! None of them covers all of NZ and you can generally not roam.

I still argue that Vodafone offers a better GSM service - their prices wont change when you travel.

2Degrees "impressive" coverage is due to the roaming agreement they have on Vodafone NZ's network when out of their own coverage, which is limited to the 3 main centers plus i think Queenstown.
    Once out of these coverage zones and roaming on the Vodafone technology, data prices change from their marketed "low prices" along with speed as you are no longer on 2Degrees 3g network, but on Vodafones 2g service.

They call it their 3G coverage in Auck, Welly and Chch "Mobile Broadband Zones". It can be found here: http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/why-2degrees/coverage

I mention this more for smartphone users, as if they intend to use Web features, they may notice a sharp spike in Data costs once they leave the coverage in main centers, or blind spots.

Quote Originally Posted by oskanaan View Post
    Hi everyone,

what is the best GSM network in NZ, or if there is a simple comparison between them?
    I wanted to know also where do you get a sim card when you first arrive at NZ, is it available in the airport?

thanks
    If you are talking GSM then it really is the Vodafone network.

Check out Vodafone 3G vs Telecom XT

If you have to go with Vodafone network due to phone capability then also check out 2 degrees as an option.

Ian

Great! Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question

Depending on what you are after, two degrees can be significantly cheaper, e.g. $5 for PAYG simcard vs $30 for Vodafone.