Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOI - What are my chances?

Default EOI - What are my chances?

I am an Indian citizen residing in the USA for the past 8 years looking to migrate to NZ. I have filled out the EOI form and here are my points:
    Total Points: 120
    Identity: 25
    Recognized Qualifications: 60 (10 bonus points for a qualification in one of the areas of absolute skills shortage)
    Recognized Work Experience: 35

What do you think are my chances? Appreciate your feedback!

Hello and welcome.

There are many people who have obtained Residence with a score of 120. Of course, if you are able to boost your point in some way, possibly by obtaining a job offer, you will be selected sooner.

Thanks JandM!

I did look around for jobs but most employers were only looking for people already in NZ with valid immigration status. Are there any employers willing to wait many months after providing a job offer so I can complete the immigration process?

It's possible to find people who will make a job offer, knowing that a visa is in the pipeline, but this is usually done by making a recce trip to NZ to meet employers in person.

It is not at all easy to get a job offer when outside the country. The trouble is that many NZ employers are mistrustful of applicants from overseas, because so many turn out to be timewasters. People apply for a job without having researched the stringent NZ immigration laws, and so without realizing the amount of time and money it will take to obtain a visa. Or they apply without having discussed the matter with their family, who are then not in agreement to such a change in their lives. In either case, the employer, who thought he had made an appointment for someone to start in the near future, would end up with nobody to do the job, and having to start all over again.

For this reason, many NZ employers are reluctant to deal with anyone from overseas, unless and until they have come to NZ to be interviewed. That, and having a visa, demonstrate a commitment of time and money, and go some way to proving the candidate's serious intentions to making the move.

Quite a few members of the forum have managed to get job offers by making a recce trip, having contacted prospective employers or agents beforehand, telling them when they will be available for interview.

If you get a job offer when your Skilled Migrant application is already in, and the CO finds it can't be processed in time for your employer's wished-for start date, s/he will often advise applying for a Work visa, as this can be put through more quickly. Then you get to start work, and the Residence process will carry on in the background.

Another question while filling out my EOI. I have a Masters' degree from the USA that is in the list of Recognized Qualification, however my Bachelors degree from India is not in the list. Should I get an assessment from NZQA for my Bachelors or is my Masters' degree enough?

We've often seen that people had their CO require assessment of the bachelor's degree as well as the master's they were claiming for, so the answer is probably yes.

As the title of your master's degree, and the institution you got it from, in the year you got it, are listed as exempt, then that should not need to be assessed. It is the non-exempt bachelor's degree that needs to be assessed.

(INZ are careful to check that a foreign master's degree is based upon earlier study in the same field, of the same depth as would be required for a similar NZ qualification.)

Notice that if the required qualification for your career is a bachelor's degree assessed at (for instance) Level 7, this requirement is not set aside by having a further degree assessed at Level 8 or 9.

I guess I'm in the same position, coker. Same points and all that and am waiting for the good news (1 week ago I submitted my EOI). Don't have any promising, but hopes. I'm a double citizen - Romanian and USA citizen. Looking forward to test of New Zealand land. I am trying to look for jobs also, as I understand this helps with both EOI and Residency Permit process. Let's hope we'll both find something, and why not - maybe working together for the same company?!

Hello and welcome.

Hello kindn3ss I have currently submitted my qualification to be assessed y NZQA. Waiting for it to be assessed and then will submit my EOI. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by coker View Post
    I am an Indian citizen residing in the USA for the past 8 years looking to migrate to NZ. I have filled out the EOI form and here are my points:
    Total Points: 120
    Identity: 25
    Recognized Qualifications: 60 (10 bonus points for a qualification in one of the areas of absolute skills shortage)
    Recognized Work Experience: 35

What do you think are my chances? Appreciate your feedback!
    Hi and welcome

i also submitted my EOI with 120 points without job offer today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast