Thread: Hello from a newbie and advice appreciated regarding nursing jobs.

Red face Hello from a newbie and advice appreciated regarding nursing jobs.

I would just like to say Hello to everyone as I'm new to this forum. I first came across this forum a few years ago when I was thinking of moving to NZ and found it to be full of useful information and advice from some very helpful and friendly people.

I would appreciate any advice or information in regards to the job situation in NZ for nurses. In June I will be finishing my studies as an Adult Nurse, (3year Dip HE) in the UK. I am hoping to get about 12 - 18 months experience before trying to get a job in NZ. During my placements in the course I have gained practical experience and knowledge in cardiology, elderly rehab, vascular, gynaecology, community nursing and am about to spend 18 weeks in an Acute care unit.

I have spoken to the NCNZ in regards to getting registration nearer the time I would like to move. After I finish my nursing I am going to look into the IETLS as I know this is needing prior to registration with the NCNZ.

Would love any advice please

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I have recently gained my NCNZ registration, it's an expensive business just to let you know

I found this website very useful when searching for jobs

http://www.kiwihealthjobs.com/home;j...B7920302D18137

Also see my post for full info - http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....966#post426966

Hope that helps

Thanks for yor reply Metalsoul. I have read your full post and by that it seems like im plodding along the right track of getting my UK registration, then looking into the IETLS whilst im gaining some RGN experience and apply next year for NZ registration. I will put the website you gave me for jobs in my favourites so its there for when I need it.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by moondust_frenzy View Post
    Thanks for yor reply Metalsoul. I have read your full post and by that it seems like im plodding along the right track of getting my UK registration, then looking into the IETLS whilst im gaining some RGN experience and apply next year for NZ registration. I will put the website you gave me for jobs in my favourites so its there for when I need it.

Thank you
    You're very welcome. Good luck for your UK registration primarily, then for your NZ one

Hello and welcome.

They are still advertising for nurses - so are the agencies. You just need to keep checking the DHB websites & register with an agency such as Tonix. They can help.

Hi, we are in a similar process but slightly further down the line, first thing to mention is points, you need 140 to be automaticLly selected. If you havent already check the point calculator to see what you have now, and what you might have after you qualify. The difficulty is you need three years post qualification experience as a nurse to get the points (including bonus for absolutue skills shortage industry) so it is better to wait until you meet that criteria so you know when you get regisyration and have a job offer your main application should be smooth sailing. Saying that we dont have the three years experience but are going for it nonetheless! Sarah my partner is te nurse and has 1.5 years experience and I have close family in NZ so all in all we have 120 points, even if we had a job offer we dont think we could improve on that score as we dont meet the 3 years experience criteria but hopefully we will get lucky and they will select us and then invite us to apply on the strenght of job offer and family ties plus 120 points but we will have to wait and see! So far we are at stage 2 of the nursing registration process and fingers crossed we wont be made to do a competency assessment programme as these appear to take up to 12 months to get onto..anyway all the best! Hope this helps focus your direction ; )

Hi beaverander, thank you for your advice. I am also just thinking to take the plunge with about 1 and half years experience behind me. I have done the points calculation and without the expereince wont get enough points so am thinking of going down the work to residency route if I can hopefully get a job offer. I to am hoping that I don't have to do the competency assessment test.

From what we are finding, most DHBs require 3 years experience to be offered a job (was 2 years experience in 2011). Best of luck, though we haven't had any yet. Also, our agency tells us many local candidates have applied for the open positions, and they take priority over foreign applicants, which is only fair. Any other nurses out there with less than 3 years experience who are having trouble finding work? It’s an odd new normal where nurses have trouble finding a job.

welcome and hope you can update us! cheers