Thread: North Shore locations - feedback if possible from those in the know

Default North Shore locations - feedback if possible from those in the know

Hi There
    Long time since I last posted here! We have posted our immigration papers and are awaiting our positive rsponse, due sometime early March. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, girl and boy. We spent Christmas in NZ visiting Wellington, Auckland (where lots of family have recently immigrated from SA), and also the Bay of Islands. We loved it and can't wait to move. I am now having to make the difficult decisions re places to stay and schooling. Given our family are in the North Shore it seems crazy to move all the way around the world and then not be near then, so this is where I'm currently looking. I've been told that Rangitoto College is a really great school.... any one got any experience of this and feedback? What's it like for newby UK kids? Is everyone as friendly as they seem when you are a visitor?

My son is bigtime into sailing and extreme sports as well as rugby. My daughter v keen on performing arts, and music. She has an active singing career here and is already singing in open mics etc on the UK local pub circuit. I'm looking for a school that can support this and also where she will meet likeminded teens.

I will be working in the CBD so commuting is an issue. Not sure where hubbie will be yet but I guess there also as he's in IT. I have read all about the car commute nightmare but there seem to be alternatives, and I wouldn't imagine its anything like sitting on the M25 daily which is what I do now!

Feedback most welcome. I'm starting to panic slightly although v excited about the move. Property looks terribly expensive...although we will be both earning good money for NZ it still looks a little worrying. We will be hoping to complete our lives in NZ and therefore will need to add to the small pension and savings chests we currently have. Is all this doable or have I got rose tinted glasses on?

Mel

We lived in Devonport for a year and loved it, although it's fairly expensive in terms of housing. There's a good sailing club at Cheltenham beach which is walkable for your son if he's interested. As a teacher, I've heard extremely mixed reports about Rangitoto College so would just be careful there. A bit further north, Albany High School is very new and with all mod cons but I don't know too much about it other than that. Takapuna Grammar is reputedly very good too. If you chose that area, your commute to the CBD would be a dawdle with the 12 minute ferry journey.

Good luck with your everything.

Brilliant thanks. I was told by some other teacher that Rangitoto was great... but you know its a matter of opinion sometimes. I don't want to get this part wrong..its so crucial for our two.

We visited Rangitoto college last year as we are in zone, the Head gave a very good speech, the tour by a student wasn't great. I have many friends with children there and all seem happy. I would have been happy for my 12yr old to go there but he chose Westlake Boys as most of his friends were going there. I suggest you visit the schools when you arrive. Rangitoto took all out of zone applications for year 9 this year. I guess it will depend on where you live as the zonining can be quite strict. I know of a few people taking their children out of Albany Junior High. Also good reports of Long Bay College. Hope this helps.

I'll sound like a broken record but slightly further up is Hibiscus Coast and Orewa a bit of a longer commute to CBD but have heard Orewa College has good rep not sure if its what your looking for but check it out

orewa.school.nz -

dont know much about sailing clubs but a quick search showed one for Manly, a nice little area too

manlysailingclub.org.nz

As quoted though Takapuna grammar had a fantastic reputation, my info not as up to date as some others though!!
    Last edited by martyb125; 19th January 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: not finished