Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expiring passports-how does it work?

Default Expiring passports-how does it work?

So we've been here with permanent residence (or whatever it's called now, though we're eligible for the old IRRV/permanent residence) for some time. Over 3 years. Our passports with our stickers are due for renewal next year. I'm thinking of getting them done early, but that's not totally relevant. We aren't eligible for NZ citizenship until 2014. Passports expire in 2013.

Here's our potential scenario: We want to renew our passports. Do we even need to do this if we don't plan on traveling outside of NZ or is a residence permit in an expired passport not so good? e.g. is it more important to have a current passport in case of emergency travel or is it important for legality of our residence?
    So we'll send them to the US consulate and get new ones. Is there likely to be any problems with NZIS when these are being processed? I don't think so. OH is paranoid.
    We both have NZ drivers licenses and don't plan on traveling outside of NZ anytime soon. We certainly don't use our passports for any part of daily life. Now, we want to have new (improved) resident permits put in our new passports. How do we prove to NZIS that we are permanent residents? Do we get our old passports back? I seem to recall getting an old one back when I got the current one with a hole punched in it...but that was close to 10 years ago.

Your entitlement to Residence is on record with INZ. It is a right not actually dependent on your documents, BUT at some times (e.g. travelling abroad, needing medical treatment from the NZ health service) you need to show your documents as a straightforward way to prove that you have that right.

Therefore, in answer to your first italicized question, it's probably more important for your possibility to travel in a hurry if need be to renew your passports. If you get them done, you can then apply to INZ and get your PR (new name for what used to be PR with IRRV) put in. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm In answer to your second italicized question, you shouldn't have any trouble at all with doing this. All the time you have been in NZ is recorded on the INZ computer (by noting when you pass immigration in or out of the country), so if you're showing commitment to NZ by having been there for more than half your time in the two years leading up to now, there won't be anything to prove, as they have the information already.

We need to start thinking about renewing a few of our UK passports soon too.
    My husbands and my daughters both expire later this year and mine and my two sons in 2014.
    We have not left NZ since getting our PR blue stickers so not sure how it works with the returning residents visa thing - I guess we have to apply (and pay!) to get new ones??
    has anyone recently got new UK passports from NZ? Just wondering on process/cost etc

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    How do we prove to NZIS that we are permanent residents? Do we get our old passports back? I seem to recall getting an old one back when I got the current one with a hole punched in it...but that was close to 10 years ago.
    You do need to get your old passports back, or get a letter from the US consulate confirming that they have kept the old passports.

Full details about how to apply for transfer of your visa to a new passport can be found here.

We have not left NZ since getting our PR blue stickers so not sure how it works with the returning residents visa thing - I guess we have to apply (and pay!) to get new ones??
    See this page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm for what to do - notice the headings in the sidebar if you need to check what exactly the requirements are.

Here's the place for UK passports. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm (Be prepared for *ouch* fees, according to my son.)

Thanks. I was hoping to get the new improved (old IRRV/new permanent resident) permit in new passports so that we wouldn't have to pay to have it put in, then put in again.

I'd recommend getting it taken care of. Our experience with US consular services (admittedly, in Melbourne) was excellent. My better half had a new passport in her hand in either 5 or 6 days, with no rush fees (way easier than actually renewing in the US... a different conversation, I suppose!). You do get your old passport back, so I doubt INZ will have any issues getting a new set of stickers put into your new passports.

It's better to have a current passport, in my opinion. Not long after renewing, my partner had to make an emergency trip to see her dad due to a medical emergency. Certainly wasn't planned...

Re UK passports - my recent experience was amazingly quick and easy, if a little expensive. I had to renew my child's passport - took the forms to the post office on the 9th Jan, they checked the forms and sent it off, it went to the high commission in Wellington, they sent it back to the UK for processing and I had the new passport here in Wellington on the 16th. So 7 days to get a new passport including sending it from NZ to the UK.

[QUOTE=girlwithanewf; So 7 days to get a new passport including sending it from NZ to the UK.[/QUOTE]

wow that's amazing!
    can I ask what the cost is?

The cost is quite extortionate - $341 for an adult and $244 for a child's UK passport. All the useful info is on the British High Commission in Wellington website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast