Thread: TKI - Te Kete Ipurangi Education Site

Default TKI - Te Kete Ipurangi Education Site

Even now - after I have been using this site (as a teacher) for around 5 years, I am still in awe of it.
    I think it is one of the most amazing resources available.

Go have a look around and see what is going on in NZ schools.
    (You don't need to register or anything to look around)

http://www.tki.org.nz/e/tki/

Carol,
    I've bookmarked it, better put a few hours aside, looks like there's lots to view.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Carol

Mr Rr found this site quite soon after arriving, and while it has been useful, the main problem - certainly in terms of using the lessons plans / units - is that the school cannot supply the ITC resources needed to make the most effective use of them. His school doesn't even have an intranet, or internet access in classrooms, or a PC in their staff base! So all the lessons involving access to the web tend to come to a dead halt and revert to photocopies.. which is timeconsuming for him and dull dull dull for the pupils.

So I gues it is the gap between theory (great ideas and good website) and practice (not enough funding for ITC resources) once again... though that's just one school's experience.

Thanks for that link - I am studying for an Ed Asistant diploma at the moment (in Oz) - absolutely loving it & am grateful for any new websites with good info on education - I think the Oz system & the kiwi one seem to have a lot of similarities - & on the whole a lot more to recommend them than the UK system. Would love to retrain & go into teaching proper - not really a viable option here as to get a job I would have to uproot the family & live "in the country" - not sure thats what we want to do. No objections to living in a more rural place, but here in Western Australia that could well be 5 hours drive from a decent sized town / city.

What are the opportunities for newly qualified teachers in NZ - do they have a similar system of earning your permenancy by working in the sticks?? Would an australian teaching qualification be recognised over there or would I be better off retraining in NZ??

May just stick with the ed assistant role - less stress & you still get to work with kids & make a difference...

Sarah