Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from NZ to Australia? Read this..

Default Moving from NZ to Australia? Read this..

NZ PRs and citizens in Australia are only temporary residents, with no clear route to PR. This can have serious implications if you find yourself needing benefits or healthcare in particular.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...and-Government

Bear in mind that the agreement that created this situation was signed by NZ gov, not just Aussie.

The relationship between NZ and Aus is still unique compared to the rest of the world. Where developed countries are bordering with each other, it's rarely the case where either resident can just move over and take up residency. What we're seeing now with NZ & Aus is a realignment with immigration compared to other developed places, by comparison, even the recent changes are still better than say Canada vs US where there is no such thing as a 1 way ticket to fly and move over. At least NZ people are able to fly AND stay if they so need to in Australia.

I had some friends that were trying to sponsor overseas folks in Canada and the rules are more strict than in Australia. For eg. any migrant children must have full medical care coverage up to age 18 depsite they may of become a resident - they've been really strict on what gov't paid services would be given to who (I don't blame Australia for going this way as obviously, in the past there must been too much abuse going on - those that see Australia as a free ride).

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    The relationship between NZ and Aus is still unique compared to the rest of the world. Where developed countries are bordering with each other, it's rarely the case where either resident can just move over and take up residency.
    It's not that rare - most EU citizens have the right of residency throughout the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    It's not that rare - most EU citizens have the right of residency throughout the EU.
    Though that is not the issue here but the participation in 'foreign' social insurance schemes.

The issue here, to me at least, is that many Kiwis and NZ PRs still think they get a good deal if they move to Australia. It's easy, and the perception is that it's safe. They will rarely fork out the extra for health and job-loss insurance, thinking instead that what they get via the trans-Tasman agreement - particularly the lack of immigration acrobatics required - is "good enough".

There are always freeloaders waiting to abuse the system in any country, hence the hoops we jump through to get Kiwi visas for instance, but I do think the majority of people have good intentions.. but good intentions don't mean you'll never lose your job, or be diagnosed with a nasty disease. I thank my lucky stars I was diagnosed with cancer after I moved back to the UK, because my nice temporary Aussie visa wouldn't have done me much good at all. They only realised what I had after an op (preceded by many tests) to remove a cyst, and since I probably would have flagged that as expensive and unnecessary (it wasn't urgent, merely precautionary) that evil lump of cells could have kept on growing and spreading for months if not years before anyone realised what it really was.

There was a thread here recently regards using NZ as a stepping stone to Australia. Seeing as NZ PR gives you no clear route to anything in Aussie other than a temporary, benefit-poor visa, I thought it worth a mention.. not least because these days, with a recession, uncertainty etc etc, it's not the sort of risk I would be keen on taking again.

Correct me if I am wrong- but I think NZ PR (or residence, as it would be called now) doesn't give you any right to live in Australia at all- you would need to have NZ citizenship....

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Seeing as NZ PR gives you no clear route to anything in Aussie other than a temporary, benefit-poor visa
    NZ PR gives you NO right of entry to OZ. You need NZ citizenship, though NZ PR holders who are the partners of NZ citizens can apply for a special visa (well in advance of travel- requires police and medical clearance etc)- is this what you're thinking of perhaps, Sophie?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    NZ PR gives you NO right of entry to OZ. You need NZ citizenship, though NZ PR holders who are the partners of NZ citizens can apply for a special visa (well in advance of travel- requires police and medical clearance etc)- is this what you're thinking of perhaps, Sophie?
    Yes, sorry - got myself muddled

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Yes, sorry - got myself muddled
    No worries Sophie, I just wanted to make it crystal because I know someone who has recently had their fragile dream (escape) crushed because of this and I feel very sorry for them, and obviously it used to be the way that NZ PR afforded you the same rights in Oz as Oz PR affords you in NZ so it's easy for ppl to get the wrong idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast