Thread: NZ Government Jobs

Default NZ Government Jobs

Some of the NZ government jobs advert do not specifically mention something like "only those who have the right to work in NZ are eligible to apply". Does this mean they are ready to receive application from potential migrants? Or, is it irrelevant for government jobs as only NZ citizens are eligible to apply for government jobs?

When you apply online on jobs.govt.nz they do ask your work eligibility. Any work visa is fine I guess to fill out the role but they do need you to have a work visa.

Thank you for your advice.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Above a certain level, the govt will accept jobs from overseas, but if they hire someone from abroad, they will be under a lot of pressure to prove that the skills weren't available here. I know westindies' wife got a job at the Reserve Bank while they were still living in the States.

It's worth a punt if you think you are the right person for the job!

It's what my partner did. He saw a job advert and liked the look of it. Sent off an email asking to have an informal chat about the post and to see whether they would consider an overseas applicant without a visa. They said apply and we'll let you know. He did, got shortlisted, had two Skype interviews and then was offered the job! Blimey, we weren't expecting that. Turns out that it is a new position and they had been unable to find anyone with the necessary skills/experience in NZ, so both parties got lucky it seems.

We are at the ITA lodging stage now and his new employer has written a supporting letter to go with our application stating why they have recruited an applicant from overseas.

Hope this helps.

Word of warning re govt jobs. Some govt departments really cutting back. My sister has been made redundant this week after 30 years working for what was once the Deparment of Social Welfare. She was Head of IT at the Head Office in Wellington. Over the years many of the govt agencies have merged (which is what they are doing now). This tends to happen on a regular basis so govt jobs arent as safe as they once were.