Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent residence granted.....but with travel conditions? Help.....

Default Permanent residence granted.....but with travel conditions? Help.....

Hi

We're in the UK and my partner applied for residency a few weeks ago. She received an e-mail today from the good people at NZI - approval in principle. It was a very straight forward application and actually only took 3 weeks from the time we lodged it - must be some kind of record.

Anyway, she's been granted Permanent Residence straight away as I'm a kiwi and we've lived together for over 5 years etc.....so that's cool, no need to apply for it later on. However, I thought Permanent Residence came without any travel conditions, however the e-mail says:

"Your resident visa allows you to live, work, and study in New Zealand. The visa has travel conditions so that you can return to New Zealand as a resident. As you will be issued with a permanent resident visa, you will not need to apply for a further resident visa, but you will need to apply to transfer your visa into any new passport you obtain.

We will send you information about the travel conditions on resident visas when we return your visa and passport"

We think it's just some generic e-mail where they didn't bother to remove the bit about travel conditions......but maybe not. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks

kirkynz

Hello and welcome.

We think it's just some generic e-mail where they didn't bother to remove the bit about travel conditions
    I think so too. Permanent Residence DOESN'T have any travel conditions, so that part doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkynz View Post
    Hi
    "Your resident visa allows you to live, work, and study in New Zealand. The visa has travel conditions so that you can return to New Zealand as a resident. As you will be issued with a permanent resident visa, you will not need to apply for a further resident visa, but you will need to apply to transfer your visa into any new passport you obtain.

We will send you information about the travel conditions on resident visas when we return your visa and passport"

kirkynz
    Is your passport expiring soon? Not sure but that can be one reason they are asking you to transfer visa to new passport?

It may be the 2 year thing that was given with PR under the previous terms. May still have to apply for right of abode after two years in residence here in NZ. Just a thought

Thanks all - the passport expires in 2014 so will defintely have to transfer it to a new passport then - if we're still there.....I might miss these dismal UK winters too much!

It just seemed a bit contradictory...."here, have some permanent residence, but also some travel conditions too". And it specifically says she won't have to re-apply for any more visas.....

Anyway, guess we'll find out for sure once we've paid some more dosh for the migrant levy and everything has been sent back to us.

Hi kirkynz,

We had similar confusion before my OH and children received their permanent residence visas. All the paperwork seemed to be generic but when the actual visa's arrived there were definitely no travel restrictions. They were the real deal.

Hope this reassures you.

It does.......thanks!

I am an American married to a Kiwi for 10 years. I too just received my passport with my permanent residence visa in there. And there are no "real" travel conditions. But, I have a year to actually travel to NZ to get the visa started if that makes sense. Otherwise it will default. But once you enter the country and actually initiate your visa you are considered a permanent resident if that makes sense. I was very confused until I got my actual passport with the sticker on there and re-read the email. Hope this helps.
    Best of luck
    Brigid

Hi kiwihusker, Are you sure about this. My OH has no conditions attached to her Permanent Residence Visa.

Number of entries : Multiple
    Expiry date Travel: Indefinite
    Visa Expiry: Indefinite

We had email confirmation that there is no obligation to enter New Zealand to activate the visa.

Could it refer to the requirement to enter NZ within a year? That's a sort of travel condition. Just a thought.

It seems most likely they forgot to tailor a generic email. I wouldn't worry too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast