Thread: Getting a cheap computer chair?

Default Getting a cheap computer chair?

By nature of the course that I'm undertaking, I spend a huge amount of time at my PC workstation. Now, the house that I am renting has only kitchen chairs - period. I used them for some time, until I realized that the hard and very unergonomic kitchen chairs were causing me pretty significant backache.

The problem, however, is that I am not only a poor student, but will also be moving to North Island in 6 mths' time, which means that I may or may not be able to bring all of my furniture with me. And I can't seem to find a cheap supplier of office-type chairs. I don't need a proper chiropractic-certified or whatever office chair, just something that is more suited for computer work than a kitchen chair. I tried briscoes and K-mart, but don't seem to see any. Perhaps Warehouse? Or any other large departmental chainstores that I am missing?

I know I can get one secondhand at trademe but would really prefer a lower-quality new chair over a higher-quality chair that I don't know where it's been.

Stationery Warehouse. Just got a desk, a credenza and a storage bookcase. Didn't need a new chair though.

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    ...Perhaps Warehouse?...
    Yes, the Warehouse sells them.

Ian

We looked at some at the Warehouse that seemed okay, though ended up getting a better one cheaper and in a barely-used condition from Trademe. We were a bit picky though wanting something high-back and with armrests.

I got my from Warehouse Stationery (different shop to the Warehouse) - much more choice
    They generally have offers/discounts on most things too

Quote Originally Posted by vixxann View Post
    I got my from Warehouse Stationery (different shop to the Warehouse) - much more choice
    They generally have offers/discounts on most things too
    Different shop, same company

Ian

Thank you! Will check both out.

I would consider a second hand chair. There are lots in the bigger op shops and also often in the recycling centres by the tip. Just choose one in good condition. It's better to recycle, especially if you don't plan to keep it for long. Better for the planet.

I don't know how active it is but freecycle is in NZ http://www.freecycle.org/group/NZ/
    Through Freecycle you can give things away or you can ask for something you need with no money exchanging hands.
    Last edited by Dell; 26th January 2012 at 02:14 PM.